Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2218727 - 07/30/19 02:08 PM REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION
t0dd Offline
100 Club
We had a recent external audit which identified we were not providing the overdraft opt-in confirmation after the consumer consented to opt-in. We found the field which triggers the notice to be printed and have since turned it on. We were also going to send out the notice to all our customers who have consented but am wonder if we would also need to refund all the fees that were charged since we did not receive their confirmation of consent. Curious if any other banks have had this issue. Thank you in advance for your response.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2218737 - 07/30/19 02:41 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In order to asses a fee under 1005.17(b), you have to do 4 distinct things. Sending a confirmation is #4.

I think you are on very shaky ground and are probably a candidate for a CMP.

Return to Top
#2218747 - 07/30/19 04:20 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
t0dd Offline
100 Club
Our consent form has the Right to Revoke Consent language and we provide the completed form to the customer at account opening. In my mind that is sufficient confirmation. Am I still missing something?

Return to Top
#2218752 - 07/30/19 04:40 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
So the customer is given, at the time of account opening, a copy (they can keep) of the completed opt-in notice along with the statement informing them of their right to revoke the opt-in at any time?

If so, it appears you may be in compliance according to comment 7 to 1005.17(b) which says this:

"A financial institution may comply with the requirement in § 1005.17(b)(1)(iv) to provide confirmation of the consumer's affirmative consent by mailing or delivering to the consumer a copy of the consumer's completed opt-in notice, or by mailing or delivering a letter or notice to the consumer acknowledging that the consumer has elected to opt into the institution's service. The confirmation, which must be provided in writing, or electronically if the consumer agrees, must include a statement informing the consumer of the right to revoke the opt-in at any time."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2218758 - 07/30/19 05:34 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That is probably the reason your confirmations were turn off if that is your process.

Return to Top
#2219274 - 08/07/19 02:34 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
That would cover you for opt-ins using that form. Do consumers opt in using any other channel? Online? By phone? If so, how are you handling the confirmation step in those instances?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2255829 - 06/23/21 07:03 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
Bailey Stratton Offline
New Poster
Sorry to bring this up again. The Notice that they provided at the time of account opening covered them for the confirmation of consent for the first time the borrower opted-in.

We have a consumer who calls to opt-in, and then calls and opts-out. Then a few months later she calls to opt-in again. Would the notice of confirmation of consent need to be mailed every time they call and opt-in?

Return to Top
#2255838 - 06/23/21 07:29 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes it would.

Return to Top
#2255865 - 06/23/21 09:18 PM Re: REG E OPT-IN CONFIRMATION t0dd
Bailey Stratton Offline
New Poster
Thank you!!