Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219208 - 08/06/19 06:57 PM Fradulent ID when Opening an Account
Christabelle- FSNB Offline
New Poster
Just got an account that was opened with a fake ID. The problem is that they deposited cash into this account and I don't know what I should do with the cash if I closed the account. The money belongs to them since they deposited it but they did it under someone else's name. Does anybody else have a solution besides putting the account on hold and requiring them to give us a valid ID before they can access the accounts funds?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2219211 - 08/06/19 07:18 PM Re: Fradulent ID when Opening an Account Christabelle- FSNB
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
A fake ID or someone else's ID?

Return to Top
#2219212 - 08/06/19 07:23 PM Re: Fradulent ID when Opening an Account Christabelle- FSNB
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'm just asking (and i'm not a deposit compliance person at all)....but if deposited with "John Smith's" ID and John Smith is a real person (just not the person sitting in front of you), then my suspicion would be that not only the ID is John Smith's, but maybe the money too.

Return to Top
#2219216 - 08/06/19 07:29 PM Re: Fradulent ID when Opening an Account Christabelle- FSNB
Christabelle- FSNB Offline
New Poster
It's a fake ID. The photo is of the person that walked in but the name along with the address if someone else's. The two don't match.

Return to Top
#2219236 - 08/06/19 08:21 PM Re: Fradulent ID when Opening an Account Christabelle- FSNB
Oursisnottoreasonwhy Offline
Platinum Poster
Oursisnottoreasonwhy
Central Illinois
Sounds like identity theft. What does your Red Flag policy say you should do?
Contact your local Law Enforcement. See if they can advise you on how to proceed. Depending on dollar amount look at filing a SAR.
Last edited by Oursisnottoreasonwhy; 08/06/19 08:34 PM.
Return to Top
#2219989 - 08/20/19 03:38 AM Re: Fradulent ID when Opening an Account Christabelle- FSNB
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I recommend freezing the account and not allowing anything to go in or out.

The money belongs to them since they deposited it but they did it under someone else's name.
I would argue that the thief gave up ownership of the cash when they deposited it into an account titled to another person.

Does anybody else have a solution besides putting the account on hold and requiring them to give us a valid ID before they can access the accounts funds?
Put the account on hold, but do not ask them for a valid ID- that does not fix the problem. If they actually show up to complete a transaction, have the branch call the local police while the thief is present.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett