Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219068 - 08/02/19 08:19 PM 3 day before close CD and recording fees
Monica-in-TX Offline
Good afternoon!

I'm doing quality control on the broker loans for our bank. On one loan I'm looking at, on the final CD, I noticed a Lender Cure for fees above the legal limit and for the life of me, I could not get to that amount using the Loan Estimate provided to me. It was explained to me that the recording fees on the first CD--the 3 days before closing CD--had been entered as $129. For the final CD, they had been entered as $162, causing a tolerance violation and a cure. Here's the play-by-play:

First LE: 4-16-19 Recording Fees are $150
Change in Circumstance LE: 5-10-19 Recording Fees are $150
Prelim CD (3 days prior to close): 5-14-19 Recording Fees are $129
Final CD: 5-15-19 Recording Fees are $162 causing a $20.10 cure

I asked if the Prelim CD was also a rate lock or was intended to reset the tolerance in any way and I was told no. So if a prelim CD isn't resetting tolerances, shouldn't we be using the Loan Estimate numbers to match to the final FINAL CD? Not the preliminary CD, from 3 days before closing? There were other fees that changed from the 3 days prior to close CD and the final CD and those weren't being considered as a reset to the LE fees. There were other cures for an appraisal and for a pest inspection and those fees were based off the last LE amount, not the 3 day prior to close. I am so confused as to why these recording fees are different.

Thank you for your help.
Monica

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2219071 - 08/02/19 08:43 PM Re: 3 day before close CD and recording fees Monica-in-TX
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The tolerance baseline is always what is on the initial LE, unless there has been a changed circumstance to raise them or if the fee is interest rate dependent and the rate was locked - then set to that amount. A rate lock would not impact recording fees. Testing from initial CD to final CD is not appropriate. We have seen that some investors may require it, but I think that too has gone by the wayside with the seasoning of TRID.

Return to Top
#2219074 - 08/02/19 08:54 PM Re: 3 day before close CD and recording fees Monica-in-TX
Monica-in-TX Offline
I thought I was losing my mind there for a minute. All right thank you! I will get with our processor and have her ask the company what their investor procedures are.

Thank you!
Monica

Return to Top
#2219244 - 08/06/19 08:58 PM Re: 3 day before close CD and recording fees Monica-in-TX
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The recording fees are covered by 1026.19(e)(3)(ii), so they get lumped in with any other 10% closing costs for determination of any need for a cure. If the recording fee on the loan is the only 10% cost, it could have gone to $165 without a violation or cure.

And WELCOME to BankersOnline's Discussion Forums!
Last edited by John Burnett; 08/07/19 01:25 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top