Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219321 - 08/08/19 03:09 PM Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale
scb2011 Offline
Gold Star
TN
Is a consumer bridge loan to purchase a new home secured by the existing and new home for a 1 year term that will be possibly fully paid off when the existing home sells HMDA reportable? The lender documented that the loan will likely be paid off in full in the file and a permanent take out was not obtained.

The 3(c)(3) paragraph 1. i. commentary example refers to the remaining balance later permanently financed. If the plan is for no subsequent loan, does that make the bridge loan reportable as a purchase?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2219337 - 08/08/19 03:49 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The loan is not intended to be replaced by longer term financing therefore it is not exempt from reporting under the temporary loan exemption.

Return to Top
#2219343 - 08/08/19 04:23 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
scb2011 Offline
Gold Star
TN
Thanks Dan Persfull that's what I was thinking too about the original situation,then this came up....

**update - as it turns out, the balance did not pay off with the sale and the remaining debt will be refinanced with our secondary market division, does this loan now qualify for the temporary financing exemption?

Return to Top
#2219352 - 08/08/19 04:53 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
You have to make the determination at the time the loan is made, based on the best knowledge available at the time. You don't have to (nor should you) monitor your portfolio and go back after the fact and add or delete loans from your LAR.
Last edited by raitchjay; 08/08/19 04:55 PM.

Return to Top
#2219455 - 08/09/19 05:30 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
First, I agree with Dan that this is a short-term (reportable) HMDA purchase.

You have to make the determination at the time the loan is made, based on the best knowledge available at the time. You don't have to (nor should you) monitor your portfolio and go back after the fact and add or delete loans from your LAR.

This is why I often say "HMDA is an application regulation. What do you know at the time of application. Things can change, but that doesn't make you wrong about what you knew at the time of application."

If the intent is to pay off the bridge loan in 1 year, it's reportable. If the borrower comes back in 1 year and wants a permanent loan, you will have a new request for credit to report.

Return to Top
#2219539 - 08/12/19 05:13 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
David, I like that - application regulation. That's a good way to put it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2219787 - 08/15/19 05:49 PM Re: Bridge loan that will be fully paid off at sale scb2011
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
That also will help you explain when to collect Demographic Info.

Return to Top