Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219616 - 08/13/19 03:43 PM Newspaper Article as a Marketing Tool
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have a branch manager who has taken a newspaper article and photo about a local school and attached it to our banks letterhead and had it laminated. She wants to present it to the school as a congratulations/way to go but also, obviously, stating hey our bank appreciates what you do in the community etc. She is obviously trying to solicit their business. Other than adding "Member FDIC" to the letterhead, is there anything else we should worry about in terms of advertising rules? The article includes the name of the newspaper, photo credits and article credits. There are no mention of products etc.....only our bank logo at the top of the letter.

Thanks in advance!

Return to Top
Marketing
#2219622 - 08/13/19 04:00 PM Re: Newspaper Article as a Marketing Tool Bankwoman1
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's not uncommon for civic-minded businesses like your bank to publish congratulatory letters in local newspapers for school groups and others who don't often get the recognition they deserve in the press. Sure, it gets the business's name in front of a lot of eyes, often at a lower rate than the typical ad occupying the same number of column inches, but it also echoes the support that others are offering for whatever achievement is being celebrated.

Would I categorize such efforts as an ad? Not if it doesn't "pitch" the bank or its services. As you have described this gesture by your branch manager, I don't see it as a pitch for business at all. I wouldn't worry about adding "Member FDIC" to the letterhead in this case (it would not be a violation to include it, however).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2219623 - 08/13/19 04:04 PM Re: Newspaper Article as a Marketing Tool Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thank you John! I appreciate your response!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker