Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219533 - 08/12/19 04:28 PM HELOC for Construction Overruns
Cloud9 Offline
100 Club
We have a declined application for a HELOC to fund the construction overruns on a new principal dwelling construction loan. The current principal dwelling was the intended collateral. The loan officer declined the application because we don't grant that type of loan. We have differing opinions on how or whether to report this application for HMDA purposes. The loan officer reported this as a 2-Home Improvement loan application. We (compliance personnel) are debating whether this should be reported as a 4-Other Purpose application or whether it should not be reported at all based on it being a short-term construction line of credit. Your help is appreciated!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2219534 - 08/12/19 04:38 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Does your financial institution currently report HELOCs on the HMDA LAR?

Return to Top
#2219535 - 08/12/19 04:43 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Skittles
Cloud9 Offline
100 Club
Yes we do.

Return to Top
#2219545 - 08/12/19 05:32 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
It's going to depend on the applicant's intention. Was this HELOC going to be paid off AND closed with another loan (e.g. permanent loan when construction is complete)? That's the only way this loan would be temporary and not be reportable. Otherwise, if they plan to keep the HELOC open or payoff and close it with the sale of the old primary, then the HELOC is reportable. I can't think of anything off the top of my head in the reg. that addresses the purpose in this situation. Although the dwelling is not completed yet, I'd go with a purpose of Home Improvement.

Return to Top
#2219550 - 08/12/19 06:00 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Carolina Blue
Cloud9 Offline
100 Club
How could it be home improvement? It's to construct a residence not improve it.

Return to Top
#2219553 - 08/12/19 06:31 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Like I said I'm not aware of anything in the regulation that addresses this situation. My thoughts are if they are having overruns then most of the dwelling is complete and these funds are the final touches. I would document the file and explain my reasoning. If you want to go the "Other Purpose" route then document that there is no dwelling to improve, and you should be good.

Return to Top
#2219640 - 08/13/19 05:15 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The purpose of the HELOC request was to complete the initial construction of the dwelling. IMO this would be a purchase transaction.

Return to Top
#2219730 - 08/14/19 05:31 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Dan Persfull
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Dan, I read the situation as the HELOC was in addition to the initial construction loan and was not replacing the construction loan, which is why I ruled out purchase.

Return to Top
#2219736 - 08/14/19 06:18 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
for a HELOC to fund the construction overruns

This why I opined purchase. In this case I see the HELOC as a const/perm loan. It is for the construction of the dwelling and it would be the permanent financing for that portion of the construction.

A HELOC would not be temporary financing, or if it is then it shouldn't have been processed as a HELOC because that would be structuring a closed-end credit as open-end credit to avoid disclosure requirements.

Return to Top
#2219785 - 08/15/19 05:43 PM Re: HELOC for Construction Overruns Cloud9
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I get Carolina Blue's position, but I agree it's purchase if the HELOC is used to finish construction.

Return to Top