Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#22194 - 06/27/02 09:48 PM Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have often found myself asking two questions. How in the heck could Andy Z make that many posts to these forums, and why do people post to these forums in their free time at home. Today I think I answered them both. I had cable internet installed at home. On the dialup connection at work it takes forever to read and post to the forum, at home it takes only seconds!

How bout it Andy? Is cable internet one of your secrets to being a platinum poster?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#22195 - 06/27/02 10:56 PM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I can't speak for Andy, but it certainly makes a huge difference for me. When I am on the road, I usually check BOL daily, but I limited my postings as I have a 28.8 modem in my laptop. Andy & I both spoke at a school last fall and one evening I was on BOL. Andy was also on BOL and posted a reply to a string that I had commented on. Funny thing was, he was in the next room.

Return to Top
#22196 - 06/28/02 01:44 AM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I am a dial-up kinda guy. I have tossed around a cable connection but no one at Road Runner has been able to tell me how I could dial in when on the road. RR appearantly doesn't have an alternative connection method and is poor about responding to e-mail. I'd also have to pay for extra Web site space soon.

As it happens I was almost ready to accept these limits (I have workarounds for most) and I called today. When they are done installing I'd be $100 poorer between installation and prepayments. I plan to wait for a free installation offer.

Long term I want a cable modem and wireless connectivity in the house and yard. I could post from my laptop and PDA from any room, yes, any room.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#22197 - 06/28/02 02:39 AM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I would have bet you were a cable user! Cable internet was just made available around here the first of the year. I can make up the difference in price from the dial up by having my second phone line removed. The package I received also gives me 10 megs of free web space. My install was only $25 and I also was able to upgrade to digital cable. I have to move some furniture so I can surf the net and watch the digital cable at the same time! Forgive my rambling but I haven't been this excited since I connected for the first time on my 486 Packard Bell with a 14.4 modem!

On a serious note, I did install a firewall right away, must be the security guy in me. I have already been pinged 3 times in the couple of hours since I put the firewall in. Guess I am just paranoid.

Return to Top
#22198 - 06/28/02 01:18 PM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Thomas-
I have been using a cable modem for about two years now, and I encountered the exact same thing when I installed my firewall back then.

Return to Top
#22199 - 07/01/02 10:45 PM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
SLC Offline
100 Club
Texas
I installed Norton Internet Security on my home system (have cable modem) and get frequent messages about "attacks" being blocked. Sometimes I trace these attacks and it often comes up as AOL in VA, but recently traced one to Shanghai, China. Kind of scary.

Return to Top
#22200 - 07/02/02 01:12 AM Re: Cable Internet - Key to Becoming Platinum Poster?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
In less than 5 days I have blocked 50 intrusion attempts, 30 of which were high risk. Over half of these attempts have originated from the same IP address. I have also encountered attempts from China and Russia. Makes you wonder about what is happening to the PC's on the net that are not behind some kind of firewall. It's funny that the installer who put in my cable internet said firewalls weren't all that important, and he was a real computer guru.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z