Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219604 - 08/13/19 02:55 PM Subject Property Value and LTV
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
On certain commercial loans, the credit decision will be made "subject to " an appraisal for the subject property with the loan to value not to exceed "X".

We are going around in circles trying to determine what we are to report for the LTV and Property Value, since the appraisal did not exist at the time of approval.

I am of the mindset to report the LTV as the value "X", since this is the magic number the credit decision is based on. However, with no value determined until prior to closing, am I incorrect in my logic? Should the LTV be based on the appraised value once established? And once the appraisal comes in, is that the property value to report, or would we put NA since no value had yet been determined at the time the credit decision was made.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited by Luv2run; 08/13/19 05:56 PM.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2219786 - 08/15/19 05:48 PM Re: Subject Property Value and LTV Luv2run
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
You're making a condition approval without the appraisal. HMDA is only interested in the final approval. You need to report there LTV and Property Value because you can't make a final decision until the appraisal (and all the verifications) are in.

To help you understand this, read the scenarios about Approved Not Accepted in Appendix B of the Small Entity Compliance Guide and read the definitions of "Customary Commitment or Closing Conditions" [Commentary to §1003.4(a)(8)(i) #13(ii)] and "Underwriting or Creditworthiness Conditions" [Commentary to §1003.4(a)(8)(i) #13(iii)].

Return to Top
#2219814 - 08/16/19 01:04 PM Re: Subject Property Value and LTV Luv2run
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
We struggled with this as well. It is somewhat difficult because commercial credit does not always find it necessary to document any LTV in the file. If a $100,000 loan requires 80% LTV and the appraisal comes back at $223,143, I don't think anyone is actually calculating an LTV. They just look at the appraisal and say, "Yep, under 80%." We've been calculating it on the back-end based on the appraisal. It seemed our best option, as we did rely on it and that's what it actually is.

Return to Top
#2219866 - 08/16/19 06:58 PM Re: Subject Property Value and LTV Inherent_Risk
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
This concept was difficult for us too. As long as the appraisal came in at required value (80% of loan) or higher the condition was cleared but there was no final LTV for decision. We have the doc. processor document the final LTV on the closing checklist based on the appraised value and final loan amount.

Return to Top
#2219872 - 08/16/19 07:12 PM Re: Subject Property Value and LTV Luv2run
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you all for your help. It makes sense on using the back end figures based on a "conditional approval" approach.

Return to Top