Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2219939 - 08/19/19 05:29 PM Free Debit Card in account promotional material
ckme Offline
Gold Star
ckme
For a checking account, can we say "Free" debit card? Many years ago, at another bank after a discussion with my examiner I had to change our account promotion. Its hard to remember the exact reasoning, but I believe it was based on the fact that some transactions with the card would have fees (ie. ATM withdrawal or inquiry at an ATM not owned by the bank). Unfortunately my new bank does charge those fees also, but wants to promote all the "free" things that come with the account. My new product team really wants it, and my old bank updated their account information and it now says "Free Debit Card" - am I wrong?

How about "free" app, mobile check deposit, text banking and email alerts? There are no fees from us for any of these services, and using them will not incur any fee that we would be aware of or put on our statement. So I believe it would be ok to say "free" but to note that "data and text rates may apply". Any other opinions?

Return to Top
Marketing
#2220348 - 08/23/19 06:54 PM Re: Free Debit Card in account promotional material ckme
Eagle06 Offline
New Poster
When we had a free checking account, we promoted "unlimited debit card transactions" rather than a free debit card. We did, however, advertise online banking and mobile check deposit as free services. Hope that helps.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker