Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2220664 - 08/29/19 03:02 PM Beneficial Ownership - Political Candidate Account
AW27 Offline
New Poster
We are opening an account for a local political candidate and I was unsure if we needed to do beneficial ownership since it is considered a non-profit?

Thank you.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2220675 - 08/29/19 03:25 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership - Political Candidate Account AW27
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Nonprofit corporations? In or Out for beneficial ownership?

Answered by:

Deborah Crawford,BOL Learning Connect

Question:

Do we have to have a beneficial ownership certification on a nonprofit corporation?

Answer:

Nonprofit corporations are not excluded from beneficial ownership certification. However, the control prong is the only piece that needs certification from the person opening the account.

Return to Top
#2220733 - 08/30/19 12:30 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership - Political Candidate Account AW27
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Assuming the political campaign account is a non-profit corporation, you would have to comply with the control prong requirements of the beneficial ownership rules - just like you do for any other non-profit corporation.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2220737 - 08/30/19 01:21 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership - Political Candidate Account AW27
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That would be my question. Is a Section 527 organization really a non-profit corporation? I have never really looked into it and how FinCEN defines a non-profit.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z