Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2220683 - 08/29/19 04:02 PM A small farm or a small business?
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
Borrower owns a horse "farm" where she raises horses, and provides riding lessons. In addition she got a loan to import a specialty breed of horses that will live on the "farm" until she is able to see them to individual third parties.

So to me raising horses is just like raising cows or tomatoes that you later sell. You might buy those cows as babies, or tomatoes as small plants, but eventually you sell the cows for meat and the tomatoes to eat. You are a farmer and a loan to you would be listed that way.

However, in this case she is importing/buying the "crop" for resale on a fairly quick schedule. Some of the horses might even be presold before she gets them.
Would you code her loan as small farm or small business?

Return to Top
CRA
#2220685 - 08/29/19 04:33 PM Re: A small farm or a small business? Lori01
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
The determining factor would be how these loans are reported in the Call Report. Below is an excerpt from the instructions, Schedule RC-C:

For purposes of this schedule, "loans to small farms" consist of the following:
(1) Loans with original amounts of $500,000 or less that have been reported in Schedule RC-C, part I,
item 1.b, column B, "Loans secured by farmland (including farm residential and other improvements)"
(in domestic offices), and
(2) Loans with original amounts of $500,000 or less that have been reported in Schedule RC-C, part I,
item 3, column B, "Loans to finance agricultural production and other loans to farmers" (in domestic
offices).

Return to Top
#2220790 - 08/30/19 07:32 PM Re: A small farm or a small business? Len S
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
I know CRA reporting has to match the Call Report Code. My problem is the person entering the code is asking me which way to code it
confused

Return to Top
#2220870 - 09/03/19 09:29 PM Re: A small farm or a small business? Lori01
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
This is a rather old copy of the Call Report Instructions, Schedule RC-C-Loans and Leases
3 Loans to finance agricultural production and other loans to farmers.
On the FFIEC 041, report in column B and, on the FFIEC 031, report in columns A and B, as appropriate, loans for the purpose of financing agricultural production. Include such loans whether secured (other than those that meet the definition of a “loan secured by real estate”) or unsecured and whether made to farm and ranch owners and operators (including tenants) or to nonfarmers. All other loans to farmers, other than those excluded below, should also be reported in this item.
Include as loans to finance agricultural production and other loans to farmers:
(1) Loans and advances made for the purpose of financing agricultural production, including the growing and storing of crops, the marketing or carrying of agricultural products by the growers thereof, and the breeding, raising, fattening, or marketing of livestock.
(2) Loans and advances made for the purpose of financing fisheries and forestries, including loans to commercial fishermen.
(3) Agricultural notes and other notes of farmers that the bank has discounted for, or purchased from, merchants and dealers, either with or without recourse to the seller.
(4) Loans to farmers that are guaranteed by the Farmers Home Administration (FmHA) or
by the Small Business Administration (SBA) and that are extended, serviced, and collected by a party other than the FmHA or SBA.
(5) Loans and advances to farmers for purchases of farm machinery, equipment, and implements.
(6) Loans and advances to farmers for all other purposes associated with the maintenance or operations of the farm, including purchases of private passenger automobiles and other retail consumer goods and provisions for the living expenses of farmers or ranchers and their families.
Loans to farmers for household, family, and other personal expenditures (including credit cards) that are not readily identifiable as being made to farmers need not be broken out of Schedule RC-C, part I, item 6, for inclusion in this item.
FFIEC 031 and 041 RC-C - LOANS AND LEASES
FFIEC 031 and 041 RC-C-10 RC-C - LOANS AND LEASES
(3-09)

Item No. Caption and Instructions
1.b Secured by farmland. Report in column B loans secured by farmland and improvements thereon, as evidenced by mortgages or other liens. Farmland includes all land known to be used or usable for agricultural purposes, such as crop and livestock production. Farmland includes grazing or pasture land, whether tillable or not and whether wooded or not. Include loans secured by farmland that are guaranteed by the Farmers Home Administration (FmHA) or by the Small Business Administration (SBA) and that are extended, serviced, and collected by any party other than FmHA or SBA. Exclude loans for farm property construction

Return to Top