Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2220941 - 09/04/19 07:01 PM SAR for SSN Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I have seen threads on this before--

We have individuals that will provide us with a SSN because they think they have to have one in order to open an account or apply for a loan. They might have a TIN or they may not have any type of US-issued number. In any regard, the SSN provided to us at one point in time is not actually assigned to the individual.

Are you all filing SARs on this every time it comes up? I think a lot of it is misunderstanding as it happens so often that we don't even find it suspicious anymore unless it is coupled with other indicators of intended fraud.

In these instances, the SSN is purchased from someone that the individual believes has the ability to "sell" a SSN to them so they can enter into the banking system.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2220951 - 09/04/19 07:38 PM Re: SAR for SSN Issue Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not what you feel. It is a matter of whether or not illegal activity has taken place.

#2220965 - 09/04/19 08:31 PM Re: SAR for SSN Issue Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would you deem this illegal activity?

#2220968 - 09/04/19 08:41 PM Re: SAR for SSN Issue Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Open a deposit account - maybe not. Apply for a loan - there is no doubt.

18 U.S. Code § 1344. Bank fraud

Whoever knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice—

(1) to defraud a financial institution; or

(2) to obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises;

shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale