Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2222528 - 09/27/19 06:44 PM Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
I've just received a credit card marketing campaign to review that will be directed to our customers ages 18-25. In the past we've avoided any age limits (except provided the applicant has the capacity to contract) in our advertising. Since all of our other advertising, including online advertising, is not limited, is there a problem doing a campaign to this age group only. Or must we have similar campaigns to other age groups as well to "even our the advertising" and show our efforts not to exclude anyone from our advertising overall?

Any advice or regulation references I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2222534 - 09/27/19 07:21 PM Re: Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25 Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I assume it is not a special credit card product - correct? Everyone gets the same thing regardless of age? Targeting only specific audiences always has its risks

Return to Top
#2222537 - 09/27/19 07:25 PM Re: Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25 Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Not a special credit card product; yes everyone gets the same thing. If marketing develops a plan for various campaigns to reach all ages, do you think this will help reduce that risk?

Return to Top
#2222549 - 09/27/19 08:29 PM Re: Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25 Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Return to Top
#2222573 - 09/28/19 06:51 PM Re: Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25 Likes to Comply
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
LTC, just some additional steps.
Review your regulator's Fair Lending Examination Procedures for Marketing and Redlining. Make sure that you have documented, to defend the types of advertising/marketing the bank does. The procedures will tell you what they look at so just document it ahead of time so when the regulators show up and ask, they know that you had considered everything rather than having it right purely by chance. Added kudos for the management perspective.

Return to Top
#2222774 - 10/01/19 08:19 PM Re: Advertising Credit Cards to customers age 18-25 Likes to Comply
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Don't forget the special rules for young consumers (under 21 years old) in section 1026.51(b) of Reg Z.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z