Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2222568 - 09/28/19 01:38 AM Visual obervation or surname
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
Is the - Was the XXX of the borrower collected on the basis of visual observation or surname? - required to be answered for all application methods or only if it is a face-to-face?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2222571 - 09/28/19 11:28 AM Re: Visual obervation or surname jlroberts
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Appendix B to Part 1003--Form and Instructions for Data Collection on Ethnicity, Race, and Sex

See 10,11, and 12

https://www.bankersonline.com/regulations/12-1003-appb

Return to Top
#2222589 - 09/30/19 01:04 PM Re: Visual obervation or surname jlroberts
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Randy's link will give you when you can actually collect DI based on visual obervation or surname, but if you're asking whether to leave it blank or mark No when the information isn't taken face-to-face, that is not yet clear.

For HMDA, where the information is not collected face to face, the visual observation questions should always be N/A OR always be Not Collected based on visual observation (or surname). I spoke with the CFPB in January, and they said it would be clarified in the next rule that was written. I'm in the Not Collected camp because it doesn't say anywhere that it can be N/A.

Just be consistent and ask for a citation if anyone says your wrong.

Return to Top
#2222598 - 09/30/19 02:13 PM Re: Visual obervation or surname jlroberts
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The form says answer the question IF the application was taken face to face. The logical conclusion is that if it's not taken face to face you don't answer the question. I've yet to see a borrower complete that section when they're filling out the form and mailing it in. Reg C is based on the information obtained from the borrower so no LO is suppossed to go back and complete the form for the borrower if not taken face to face. And I'm not reporting it either.

Return to Top
#2222610 - 09/30/19 04:13 PM Re: Visual obervation or surname jlroberts
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
You have to report it. You're just reporting it as NA, which is probably logical, but you won't find anything saying that you are allowed to report NA in these situations.

The form says you have to fill out the questions if it's taken in person. It doesn't say anything about what to do for not in person.

You can rely on logic. I'll stick with a technical reading of the "Reporting Not Applicable" HMDA guide. Hopefully, they'll make the 2 match up soon. In the end, I don't think anyone is actually going to care.

Return to Top
#2222612 - 09/30/19 04:29 PM Re: Visual obervation or surname jlroberts
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top