Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2223238 - 10/07/19 10:22 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons Mel in WA
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Thank you. One more question - Does the customer need to know that they did not meet our minimum credit score requirement? Does it need to be in the notice along with the specific denial reasons? Or just list the reasons?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2223263 - 10/08/19 01:50 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons Mel in WA
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
For the AA notice, no, since your credit score requirement is not a specific denial reason and shouldn't be used as a reason for denial on your AA notice. As far as customer service, it might be nice to tell them, but I don't see a requirement to do so.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2223267 - 10/08/19 01:59 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons Mel in WA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I can't recall a single application with a credit score below what is acceptable under policy, that the reason for denial isn't one of the below reasons:
Delinquency
Collections
Bankruptcy
Limited Credit Experience (might not include anything derogatory...it's just a very short report)
Poor performance with prior loans at my bank.

Return to Top
#2223269 - 10/08/19 02:12 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons Mel in WA
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Thank You.

Return to Top
#2223272 - 10/08/19 02:13 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons Adam Witmer
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
For the AA notice, no, since your credit score requirement is not a specific denial reason and shouldn't be used as a reason for denial on your AA notice. As far as customer service, it might be nice to tell them, but I don't see a requirement to do so.

I'm not sure that it isn't required if it can be considered an "Automatic Denial Reason," which it often is.

8. Automatic denial. Some credit decision methods contain features that call for automatic denial because of one or more negative factors in the applicant's record (such as the applicant's previous bad credit history with that creditor, the applicant's declaration of bankruptcy, or the fact that the applicant is a minor). When a creditor denies the credit request because of an automatic-denial factor, the creditor must disclose that specific factor.

I agree that it isn't sufficient to say your credit score was too low (which, let's be honest, is really dumb when it's a combined FRCA ECOA AAN), but I do think it is required in some circumstances.

Return to Top
#2223277 - 10/08/19 02:40 PM Re: Key Factors as Denial Reasons banker-12
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
I don't think it's necessary to add this to your credit policy. You're denying based on score, and the AAN denial reasons are what the applicant needs to do to be creditworthy. In this scenario, that equates to the reasons the score is too low. Your auditors should be looking at the denial reasons in context of both your policy and the applicant's CBR.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2