#2222638 - 09/30/19 06:27 PM Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but:

§ 34.42 Definitions.
(k)
Residential real estate transaction means a real estate-related financial transaction that is secured by a single 1-to-4 family residential property.

So if we secure a $390,000 loan with the borrower's primary residence and their 1-4 rental the transaction would not be exempt under the $400,000 threshold and we would be required to get an appraisal? Am I reading that correctly?
Last edited by John Burnett; 10/08/19 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling in title of post

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2222639 - 09/30/19 06:31 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Hmmm....that would be unfortunate.

Since we sell to Fannie, this doesn't really help us. frown

Return to Top
#2222643 - 09/30/19 06:39 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We sell to Freddie but we also have in -house loans and HELOCs.

This scenario would not affect most of our conventional loans but I'm mostly thinking about those bridge loans secured by the property being purchased and the current property where the balance of the bridge loan will be refinanced after the proceeds from the sale of the current property is applied to the loan.

Or those pesky commercial loans where 2 or more 1-4 rental properties are taken as security.

Return to Top
#2222767 - 10/01/19 07:47 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
After reading footnotes 30 and 31 in the document submitted for Federal Register publication, I'd say you are reading it correctly, Dan. Those footnotes also suggest that the current $250,000 threshold for residential appraisals also only applies when the security is a single 1-to-4 family residential property.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2222779 - 10/01/19 08:40 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Footnotes ----- DUHHHHH...… thanks John.

Return to Top
#2222814 - 10/02/19 12:57 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Just to be clear, in the example Dan gave, an appraisal would NOT be required because it is under $500,000 and considered a "commercial real estate transaction." Right?

Footnote 30 - 83 FR 15019-01 (April 9, 2018) (“commercial real estate transaction” is defined as a “real estate-related financial transaction that is not secured by a single 1-to-4 family residential property”).

Return to Top
#2222820 - 10/02/19 01:40 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Inherent_Risk, I agree that the example Dan gave in the OP would not require an appraisal because there are multiple 1-4 family residential properties, which is included in the definition of a "commercial real estate transaction."

From the April 2018 CRE Final Rule: "The agencies have included the term ‘‘single’’ in the definition to clarify that only transactions secured by one 1-to-4 family residential property are excluded from the definition of ‘‘commercial real estate transaction,’’ whether financing construction or for other purposes."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2222856 - 10/02/19 04:54 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Based on guidance I received from my EIC.

Consumer purpose loans secured by 2 or more 1-4 residential properties are not eligible for the threshold exemptions, regardless of transaction amount.

Loans secured by 2 or more 1-4 residential properties would still meet the commercial real estate transaction definition and be exempt up to $500,000, or if it met the definition of a qualifying business loan the threshold would increase to $1,000,000.

PS. He made a point to caution about using notes with cross collateralization clauses.
Last edited by Dan Persfull; 10/02/19 04:56 PM. Reason: Add comment.

Return to Top
#2222862 - 10/02/19 05:26 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Dan, I agree with your EIC. The April 2018 interagency rule explains that they only transaction excluded from the definition of "commercial real estate transaction" is when there is just one 1-to-4 family residential property. To me, the preamble seems pretty clear on that, based on what I quoted previously. In addition, the April 2018 final rule provides an example of a loan to construct multiple properties and then says this:

"By contrast, transactions secured by multiple 1-to-4 family properties are more likely to be transactions to real estate developers or investors in rental properties."

Based on this discussion in the April 208 final rule, it seems to me they created a bright line test for commercial RE transactions vs residential RE transaction in that one single 1-to-4 family is residential and everything else is commercial. In their justification they even seem to acknowledge that not all loans with multiple properties will be commercial, per se, as they say "multiple 1-to-4 family properties are more likely to be real estate developers or investors.

To me, I don't see any gaps between the new rule for residential RE transactions vs the 2018 guidance on commercial RE transactions.

Last edited by Adam Witmer; 10/02/19 06:11 PM. Reason: I should have read Dan's post in entirety before posting. ;-)

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2223259 - 10/08/19 01:44 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The old rule did make that distinction, but it was made clearer (by defining "residential real estate transaction") in the most recent rule, which, for the record, was published today (see https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2019-21376), and the increased threshold for residential real estate transactions goes into effect tomorrow, 10/9/2019.
Last edited by John Burnett; 10/08/19 01:44 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2223309 - 10/08/19 04:42 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
I have managed to totally confuse myself on all this. Can someone let me know if I have the following scenarios correct?

1. Consumer Purpose loan secured by a single 1-4 family residential property with a transaction value of less than $400,000.
Requires an evaluation

2. Consumer Purpose loan secured by 2 or more 1-4 family residential properties with a transaction value of less than $500,000.
Requires an evaluation

3. Business Purpose loan secured by a single 1-4 family residential property:
-transaction value of more than $1 million requires an appraisal
-transaction value of more than $400,00 but less than $1million and is not dependent on sale or rental income for repayment requires an evaluation
-transaction value $400,000 or less requires an evaluation

4. Business purpose loan secured by 2 or more 1-4 family residential properties:
- transaction value more than $1million requires an appraisal
- transaction value of more than $500,000 but less than $1 million and is not dependent on sale or rental income for repayment requires an evaluation
-transaction value $500,000 or less requires an evaluation

Return to Top
#2223343 - 10/08/19 06:57 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase dottiec
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
That's the way I understand it.

Return to Top
#2223416 - 10/09/19 03:48 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
2. Consumer Purpose loan secured by 2 or more 1-4 family residential properties with a transaction value of less than $500,000.
Requires an evaluation

I don't agree with this statement. Did you mean to say Commercial instead of Consumer? If so then I would agree.

A consumer loan secured by 2 or more 1-4 residential properties would not be eligible for the appraisal exemption.

Return to Top
#2223425 - 10/09/19 04:27 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
No, I meant consumer.

Does the $400,000 appraisal threshold apply to any consumer purpose loan even if the "collateral" falls under the definition of Commercial Real Estate Transaction?

Return to Top
#2223434 - 10/09/19 05:19 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted by Dan Persfull
A consumer loan secured by 2 or more 1-4 residential properties would not be eligible for the appraisal exemption.

Dan, I don't think I agree with you. The April 2018 final rule says this: "The final rule defines commercial real estate transaction as a real estate-related financial transaction that is not secured by a single 1-to-4 family residential property."

In addition, the April 2018 final rule states: " This change addresses potential confusion about whether a loan for the construction of multiple residential properties would meet the definition of “commercial real estate transaction;” a loan that is secured by multiple 1-to-4 family residential properties (for example, a loan to construct multiple properties in a residential neighborhood) would meet the definition of commercial real estate transaction and thus be subject to the higher threshold."

In other words, I see it as 1) a single 1-to-4 family falls in the $400,000 exemption while 2) more than one 1-4 family residential properties fall into the $500,000 exemption. This rule seems to base the exemptions on the number of 1-4 family residential properties rather than the true purpose.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2223435 - 10/09/19 05:19 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
2 or more 1-4 residential properties would defer to the commercial threshold, would it not?

Also, if you are not doing QMs or fall under one of the other exclusions - don't loose sight of 1026.35(c) if you have an HPML.

Return to Top
#2223436 - 10/09/19 05:25 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
That's how I see it, Randy. The prefatory text to the April 2018 final rule talks about how loans with multiple 1-4 family properties are "more likely" to be commercial transactions, which seem (to me) to imply that they just drew a line in the sand regardless of some specific situations that may have a "purpose" different than the appraisal rule definitions.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2223437 - 10/09/19 05:26 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I guess you need to clarify how securing a consumer purpose loan with 2 1-4 residential properties would be securing the loan with Commercial Real Estate.

Return to Top
#2223438 - 10/09/19 05:28 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
OK, I'm going to have to go back and re-read a couple citations. Apparently I've got my wires crossed somewhere.

Return to Top
#2223439 - 10/09/19 05:31 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Just to be clear - You are saying if I secure a consumer purpose loan with the consumer's primary residence and with his vacation home I now have a Commercial Real Estate Transaction?

Return to Top
#2223440 - 10/09/19 05:32 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
It appears that way. The April 2018 final rule appears to acknowledge that some consumer purpose loans will be affected, though the number of consumer loans affected is not considered material.

"Regarding consumer protection concerns, the agencies do not expect that this increase will affect a significant number of consumer transactions. As discussed in more detail below, the final rule is only raising the threshold for commercial real estate transactions. This definition was revised to exclude construction loans secured by a single 1-to-4 family residential property, which would have included construction loans to consumers. As a result of this change, the final rule will not affect a material number of consumer transactions."

The way I read both rules (for residential real estate transactions and commercial real estate transactions) is that the definitions don't align with the loan purpose definitions we are used to in other regs (like Z). It seems to me that the appraisal rule definitions draw a hard line in the sand:

a single 1-4 family property = residential real estate transaction (i.e. $400,000 threshold)
multiple 1-4 family properties = commercial real estate transaction (i.e. $500,000 threshold)
Last edited by Adam Witmer; 10/09/19 05:41 PM. Reason: Updated to answer Dan's question since we were posting at the same time...

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2223450 - 10/09/19 06:30 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Thank you all for helping me understand this. That's why I tried to put out some scenarios that we will run into, makes it easier to understand and explain to others.

Return to Top
#2223452 - 10/09/19 06:35 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
the definitions don't align with the loan purpose definitions

And therein is where I got my wires crossed.

Thanks for the clarification.

Return to Top
#2223459 - 10/09/19 07:04 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
well, darn, I just presented this and I was on the same lines as Dan in my interpretation. Now that I read this and re-read the commercial rules, I need to correct my information. Thank you guys for the discussion.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2223473 - 10/09/19 08:38 PM Re: Appraisal Exemption Threshold Increase Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Well, one thing we haven't mentioned is how confusing this will be for your lenders. If we call a consumer loan secured by a primary residence and a second home a commercial loan, then I can see some lenders wanting to call the same loan commercial for other intents and purposes. Therefore, while I believe the residential real estate exemption ($400,000) only applies to single 1-4 family residential property, I can see where some will just tell their lenders to follow the $400,000 threshold for ALL consumer-purpose loans, even though some consumer loans, by definition, are commercial real estate transactions, and could qualify for the $500,000 threshold.

In other words, it may be simpler to use a more conservative $400,000 threshold for ALL consumer-purpose loans than to try to train lenders that some consumer-purpose loans have a threshold to $400,000, while others have a threshold of $500,000.

I'm not sure if anyone will actually do this, but I can see where this might be the easier procedure.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z