Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#2222611 - 09/30/19 04:19 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted by raitchjay
I'm reminded of a story my Dad (rest in peace, Dad) told me about when he was a senior in high school. He had a woodshop class and their last semester project was to make something. Dad went all out and made his mother a cedar chest. He worked on it diligently whilst many of his fellow classmates piddled around for much of the last semester. Dad had his cedar chest done with weeks to spare. In the last few days of school, his classmates were scrambling to get their projects done. On the very last day of school, Dad was reading a comic book whilst those classmates continued to scramble to get their projects done that should have been done weeks ago. His teacher saw him reading a comic book and got on to him, telling him to put the comic book down and go help someone else with their project (none of these projects were nearly as involved or difficult as Dad's cedar chest....more like cigar boxes and the like). Dad went and helped someone for awhile....helped them finish...and then went back to the comic book. The teacher got on to him again and said he needed to help someone else. Dad then said "why do i have to help those guys? Nobody helped me finish my cedar chest." The story goes on from there, but you get the point.

This thread just put that in my mind.......

This right here is an example of those that do get more.

Return to Top
#2222691 - 10/01/19 11:40 AM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'm reminded of a story my Dad (rest in peace, Dad) told me about when he was a senior in high school. He had a woodshop class and their last semester project was to make something. Dad went all out and made his mother a cedar chest. He worked on it diligently whilst many of his fellow classmates piddled around for much of the last semester. Dad had his cedar chest done with weeks to spare. In the last few days of school, his classmates were scrambling to get their projects done. On the very last day of school, Dad was reading a comic book whilst those classmates continued to scramble to get their projects done that should have been done weeks ago. His teacher saw him reading a comic book and got on to him, telling him to put the comic book down and go help someone else with their project (none of these projects were nearly as involved or difficult as Dad's cedar chest....more like cigar boxes and the like). Dad went and helped someone for awhile....helped them finish...and then went back to the comic book. The teacher got on to him again and said he needed to help someone else. Dad then said "why do i have to help those guys? Nobody helped me finish my cedar chest." The story goes on from there, but you get the point.

This thread just put that in my mind.......

so essentially you are saying your dad was selfish...just kidding there...

shop class...me and another guy built a go cart in metal shop/welding class...pretty intricate work for a couple of sophomores in high school with no welding experience. as we were coming to the end, all kinds of people wanted to start "helping us" as they had no project for the semester and wanted to tag on ours...so that seems to be a universal theme in shop class...

Return to Top
#2223198 - 10/07/19 06:35 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
"I'm reminded of a story my Dad (rest in peace, Dad) told me about when he was a senior in high school"

You were old enough to listen to stories when your Dad was a Senior in High School? confused

::ducks and runs::
Last edited by RR Joker; 10/07/19 06:36 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2223203 - 10/07/19 06:45 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Haha....the story was "about" when he was a senior in high school.

That does remind me of a funny story of my own....when I was a senior in high school, my basketball coach (roughly my dad's age) was trying to get a point across to me and then said....."did you ever see your Dad play ball in high school?"

LOL

Return to Top
#2223226 - 10/07/19 08:44 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial RR Joker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by RR Joker

::bakes a pie::

Return to Top
#2223289 - 10/08/19 03:25 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
About the "you're welcome" thing -- I just read an article on MSN that said a couple of years ago a popular television comedy (I can't remember which one) would use that line when someone felt that they had been slighted after doing someone a favor. They would say it very sarcastically. It became a "thing". So, in the eyes of the younger generation, it has almost become a negative thing to say instead of the polite thing to say. I had a teller who used to do that when a particular senior lender would cash a check with him. The lender was very arrogant (really-a commercial lender arrogant?) and he would just walk to the teller station and throw the check at him and then pick up the money and walk away. Every time. When he came to the window the teller would purposely say "good morning" and then when he walked away the teller would call out "you're welcome". The senior lender came to me one day and told me to remind the tellers that they are not supposed to talk to senior management (???).

Return to Top
#2223294 - 10/08/19 03:56 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial EllenA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by EllenA
The senior lender came to me one day and told me to remind the tellers that they are not supposed to talk to senior management (???).

we have that same policy...but in our case, not only can the lowly not talk to them, they should shield their eyes and turn their heads if one graces their presence...lol...

Return to Top
#2223331 - 10/08/19 06:33 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial Peepers
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted by Peepers
Originally Posted by RR Joker

::bakes a pie and throws it at peeps::

Return to Top
#2223333 - 10/08/19 06:33 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Haha....the story was "about" when he was a senior in high school.

That does remind me of a funny story of my own....when I was a senior in high school, my basketball coach (roughly my dad's age) was trying to get a point across to me and then said....."did you ever see your Dad play ball in high school?"

LOL

laugh!

Return to Top
#2223474 - 10/09/19 08:38 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I look at the kids in school today and think of what it was like for me. Being a Gen Xer, I remember high school football coaches grabbing your facemask and swearing like a sailor to make it point. If you took a hard hit bordering on having a concussion, you kept playing. Those things just don't happen today, but show the differences in how the different generations were shaped. The coping mechanisms are different. Some for the better, some for worse. I know I have to adjust how I talk with my team knowing they are more sensitive than I am.

I am thankful that my generation didn't have camera phones when I was in college. If there's not a photo, it didn't happen.

Return to Top
#2223504 - 10/10/19 03:32 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Ahhh, the 90s....so much debauchery, so little evidence. laugh

Return to Top
#2223600 - 10/11/19 02:25 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
Kimo in Idaho Offline
100 Club
Yeah in some ways the 90s were a much more forgiving time (no evidence), and yet in other ways it was tougher (coaches yelling, no one cared about your "feelings", etc.)

Return to Top
#2223617 - 10/11/19 03:32 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ya'll should have tried the 70s and 80s. smile

Return to Top
#2223618 - 10/11/19 03:33 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Werd!

Return to Top
#2223629 - 10/11/19 04:05 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia

^^^
Exactly, there wasn't a whole lot of warm and fuzzy in the 1970's, and trophies, forget it, only the very special got those.

Although, from a partying aspect it was a lot of fun, no cameras. smile

Return to Top
#2223830 - 10/16/19 07:12 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

no kidding...had a soccer coach that, if he thought you were loafing, would run behind you kicking your butt to make you run faster...i went home and told my dad, he said "don't complain to me, run faster."

once was riding my bike and as i went around the corner a car cut the corner, i landed on their hood and busted the windshield...ended up with stitches and a pretty bad concussion...my dad was worried they would sue us for the damage to the hood and windshield...

loved growing up in the 70s...

Return to Top
#2223831 - 10/16/19 07:17 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
LOLing at your dad worrying about being sued for the damage to the hood and windshield, cuz i know it's true. Yep, that's the 70s in a nutshell.
Last edited by raitchjay; 10/16/19 07:18 PM.

Return to Top
#2223834 - 10/16/19 07:37 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial raitchjay
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Ahhhh......those were the days! (70s & 80s)

Not to mention the music was so much better......
Last edited by Bankwoman1; 10/16/19 07:38 PM.
Return to Top
#2223863 - 10/17/19 12:56 AM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Little league, took a fastball to the head, went down like a sack of potatoes (helmets had not been invented), but got to go to 1st base. Dad was laughing after the game - said it was the easiest I ever made it to 1st base. Also, if you were over someone else's house, you better have manners - they could discipline you as well as your parents. Also, as a kid I was drugged - drugged to church, drugged to scout meeting, drugged to grandparents house, etc.

Return to Top
#2223904 - 10/17/19 05:12 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Junior high school - gym class - early '70's. I got knocked out by the flying elbow of someone a foot taller than me. When I came to, they sent me on to English class. Blackest eye you ever saw - swelled shut during English class. It wasn't considered bad enough to go to the nurse's office.

Return to Top
#2223917 - 10/17/19 06:44 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Valley, probably today they would med-evac you to the nearest trauma center. and suspend gym class until a full investigation was made by the school board in conjunction with your and their attorneys.

Return to Top
#2223921 - 10/17/19 07:04 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I can remember in the 2nd grade....my teacher whacked me (hard) on my knuckles with a yardstick because she thought i was cheating out of the back of my workbook. That would definitely be a lawsuit today...was just a Tuesday back then.
Last edited by raitchjay; 10/17/19 07:10 PM. Reason: edited for accuracy...wasn't a "ruler"...it was a big old yardstick

Return to Top
#2223928 - 10/17/19 08:05 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My 3rd grade teacher made a student push his desk right next to hers, she put a belt over his lap and told him it better not move or fall on the floor. She would also throw the chalk board eraser at him if he made a peep or moved! Believe me, he deserved everything she threw at him........ However, we all know that would never fly today. She was one of my favorite teachers and a great teacher.......I'm FB friends with her today. She would no doubt have been fired if that was today....
Last edited by Bankwoman1; 10/17/19 08:06 PM.
Return to Top
#2223936 - 10/17/19 08:48 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Another thing that was very 80s that would never, ever fly today.......my high school basketball coach used to smoke 2 cigarettes in the locker room at halftime of every game whilst ripping into us about whatever he felt like ripping into us about.

Return to Top
#2223990 - 10/18/19 05:50 PM Re: Baby Boomer exchange with Millennial NeverEndingSupport
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I remember the principal of my school when I was little (it was a private school that had k-12th grade) had a paddle hanging on his office wall with "Board of Education" branded on it. laugh

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett