Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2224134 - 10/22/19 04:54 PM Flood Policy Question
jwade Offline
New Poster
We’ve had a situation where our commercial borrower is purchasing a retail building that’s in a flood zone but according to the Lease Agreement, the Lessee is responsible for carrying the flood insurance. We are trying to determine what options we have. As I see it, the lessee does not have an insurable interest on the building and the borrower does not have an insurable interest in the contents. So do we have the lessee purchase one policy to cover contents which belong to them and a separate policy for the building, naming the building owner/borrower as the insured and the bank as mortgagee? There is discussion among our group of having the borrower purchase a separate policy but that would negate the flood clause in the lease agreement.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2224143 - 10/22/19 05:51 PM Re: Flood Policy Question jwade
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I agree. The borrower, owner of the building, has to maintain a policy on the building. As you noted the lessees cannot obtain a policy on something they do not own. The lessees would need to obtain a policy for their own contents, but that would be between your borrower and the lessees and not required by you. May still want to check on that from a credit perspective since if the lessees can't recover after a flood then your borrower may not be able to pay you back.

Return to Top
#2224146 - 10/22/19 06:24 PM Re: Flood Policy Question jwade
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I agree. If your borrower owns the building and you are lending against the building your borrower must provide you a valid flood insurance policy.

There is discussion among our group of having the borrower purchase a separate policy but that would negate the flood clause in the lease agreement.

The lease agreement has no bearing on your regulatory requirement.

Why are you looking at flood insurance on the lessee's contents?

Return to Top
#2224166 - 10/22/19 08:35 PM Re: Flood Policy Question Dan Persfull
jwade Offline
New Poster
To clarify, we are not looking for flood on the lessee's contents. I appears perhaps the lessee already has flood on the building and his own contents on the same policy.

Return to Top
#2224168 - 10/22/19 08:40 PM Re: Flood Policy Question Carolina Blue
jwade Offline
New Poster
It was recommended that the lessee purchase the flood on the building, for the building owner, listing the owner as the named insured, but the lessee would pay the premium and not be listed on the policy.

Return to Top
#2224327 - 10/24/19 04:24 PM Re: Flood Policy Question jwade
jwade Offline
New Poster
Thanks everyone!

Return to Top
#2224392 - 10/25/19 12:20 PM Re: Flood Policy Question jwade
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The tenant can purchase the building policy.

2. Building Coverage
Tenants may purchase building coverage if required by the lease agreement,
and the policy must include the building owner as a named insured. However,
tenants may not purchase building coverage if the owner or another party has
purchased NFIP coverage on the same building. Residential condominium
buildings are an exception to this condition.

Return to Top