Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2223877 - 10/17/19 02:12 PM title company submits eisigned payoff request
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
We have a title company submitting a request for our customers loan payoff.
The request includes our customers e-signed signature to the title company.
Is that ok - with regards to the e-signed document we, the bank, are not a party to the e-signature requirement.
I don't think we can accept the title company request and need to say have our customer contact us directly.

scam possibilities - out of state borrower and title company, now they will know the exact amount of the loan payoff - don't know how this could result in a loss but I am constantly amazed at new scams.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2223947 - 10/18/19 04:30 AM Re: title company submits eisigned payoff request Burgess
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
From the risk perspective, an e-signature presents an exposure comparable to the "X" made by an illiterate customer. One "X" looks about the same as another, so you need additional assurance that the one presented by a 3rd party is, in fact, the genuine action of that customer.

Return to Top
#2224246 - 10/23/19 05:30 PM Re: title company submits eisigned payoff request Burgess
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You could look at the reputation of the title company, if you know it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2224313 - 10/24/19 02:08 PM Re: title company submits eisigned payoff request Burgess
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would be of the risk-averse opinion that an E-SIGN request provides your bank with no evidence of the borrowers request. I don't see a huge downside to providing it assuming there is no cost to the borrower and the request included names and account numbers so it appears legit.

The question does raise interesting points I had not considered. Thanks for that.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2224341 - 10/24/19 05:54 PM Re: title company submits eisigned payoff request Burgess
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Just to add recent personal experience. I just sold my house and the title company did esign for a lot of documents, but required the payoff request to be printed and scanned or delivered. They noted this was a requirement by the bank. That bank is the largest bank in the US. So from my personal experience, I can tell you that bank won't accept an esigned payoff request.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z