BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2225546 - 11/13/19 05:59 PM Taxpayer First Act - Consent
Sgt. Pepper Offline
100 Club
Sgt. Pepper
Massachusetts
As part of the Taxpayer First Act that was passed into law earlier this year on July 1, 2019, a lender who obtains a borrower’s tax transcript during the origination process must obtain the borrower’s consent to share that information with any other party, including an investor to whom the loan is sold. The part of the law requiring the specific consent of the borrower to share their tax information, Section 2202 of the Act, becomes effective December 28, 2019.

Does anyone know if the consent requirement also applies in situations where the borrower provided copies of their tax returns and no tax transcript was ordered?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2225550 - 11/13/19 06:12 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It does not appear to be covered, but likely the secondary market is going to require consent regardless.

Return to Top
#2225583 - 11/13/19 09:11 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent rlcarey
Gertie Offline
We sell loans on the secondary market. I admit I must have missed something. I am not familiar with this new requirement. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get additional information regarding delivery & content of the consent form? I searched IRS.gov to no avail. Thanks

Return to Top
#2225586 - 11/13/19 09:16 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2225588 - 11/13/19 09:19 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Gertie Offline
Perfect! Thank you.

Return to Top
#2225709 - 11/15/19 06:16 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
FSLICBanker Offline
North Carolina
I may be missing the point in my interpretation but my research thus far indicates that the requirement to obtain consent likely is a secondary market issue versus a statutory absolute. I guess the subtle difference is whether any future violations for failure to obtain consent should be considered a regulatory issue.

The new Section 2202 of the Taxpaxer First Act (Limit Redisclosures and uses of Consent based Disclosures for Tax Return Information) specifically refers to U.S. Code Sec 6103. Sec 6103 only appears to be applicable to the following entities:

1) Officer or employee of the U.S.;
2) Officer or employee of a state or local law enforcement agency, local child support agency or other local agencies; or
3) “Any other person”. (Note: In regards to US Code 6103 – a “person” is defined as “any governmental unit (and any agency or instrumentality thereof).”

SEC. 2202. LIMIT REDISCLOSURES AND USES OF CONSENT-BASED DISCLOSURES OF TAX RETURN INFORMATION.

(a) 26 USC 6103.>> In General.--Section 6103(c) is amended by adding at the end the following: ``Persons designated by the taxpayer under this subsection to receive return information shall not use the information for any purpose other than the express purpose for which consent was granted and shall not disclose return information to any other person without the express permission of, or request by, the taxpayer.''.

U.S. Code § 6103. Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information6103(a) General rule Returns and return information shall be confidential, and except as authorized by this title—
(1) no officer or employee of the United States,

(2) no officer or employee of any State, any local law enforcement agency receiving information under subsection (i)(1)(C) or (7)(A), any local child support enforcement agency, or any local agency administering a program listed in subsection (l)(7)(D) who has or had access to returns or return information under this section or section 6104(c), and

(3) no other person (or officer or employee thereof) who has or had access to returns or return information under subsection (e)(1)(D)(iii), paragraph (10), (13), or (14) of subsection (k), paragraph (6), (10), (12), (16), (19), (20), or (21) of subsection (l), paragraph (2) or (4)(B) of subsection (m), or subsection (n), shall disclose any return or return information obtained by him in any manner in connection with his service as such an officer or an employee or otherwise or under the provisions of this section. For purposes of this subsection, the term “officer or employee” includes a former officer or employee.

Definition of term “person” - The term “person” includes any governmental unit (and any agency or instrumentality thereof).”

Return to Top
#2225710 - 11/15/19 06:42 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am not really sure how you determined that was the definition of a "person" in 26 USC 6103?

The amendment was made to this section of the law:

(c) Disclosure of returns and return information to designee of taxpayer

The Secretary may, subject to such requirements and conditions as he may prescribe by regulations, disclose the return of any taxpayer, or return information with respect to such taxpayer, to such person or persons as the taxpayer may designate in a request for or consent to such disclosure, or to any other person at the taxpayer’s request to the extent necessary to comply with a request for information or assistance made by the taxpayer to such other person. However, return information shall not be disclosed to such person or persons if the Secretary determines that such disclosure would seriously impair Federal tax administration.

The amendment then adds:

``Persons designated by the taxpayer under this subsection to receive return information shall not use the information for any purpose other than the express purpose for which consent was granted and shall not disclose return information to any
other person without the express permission of, or request by, the taxpayer.''.

Return to Top
#2225767 - 11/18/19 03:45 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Anyone found a consent form model yet?

Return to Top
#2225769 - 11/18/19 03:56 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2226171 - 11/22/19 02:56 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
WDCA Offline
Related topic question: In regards to the amendment ``Persons designated by the taxpayer under this subsection to receive return information shall not use the information for any purpose other than the express purpose..."

Is express purpose defined? Is it the signature on application for the authorization to release tax information or using form 4506T etc..?

Return to Top
#2226203 - 11/22/19 07:02 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Allshouse Offline
New Poster
Indiana
Does the new consent form apply to business tax returns as well?

Return to Top
#2226225 - 11/22/19 10:21 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Unfortunately we're not members of MISMO. Still trying to find something. DocMagic has put out a form, but we don't have access to that either.

Return to Top
#2226229 - 11/23/19 10:42 AM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent WDCA
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted by WDCA
Related topic question: In regards to the amendment ``Persons designated by the taxpayer under this subsection to receive return information shall not use the information for any purpose other than the express purpose..."

Is express purpose defined? Is it the signature on application for the authorization to release tax information or using form 4506T etc..?

I do not understand your question. What does this have to do with a signature on an application?

Return to Top
#2226230 - 11/23/19 10:45 AM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Skittles
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted by Skittles
Unfortunately we're not members of MISMO. Still trying to find something. DocMagic has put out a form, but we don't have access to that either.

You don't have to be a member. Go to the link I provided, click on the I am not a member - complete the brief registration information and you can download the model language.

Return to Top
#2226231 - 11/23/19 10:46 AM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Allshouse
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted by Allshouse
Does the new consent form apply to business tax returns as well?

A taxpayer is a taxpayer, regardless of whether they are an individual or business.

Return to Top
#2226249 - 11/25/19 01:21 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Great - thank you Randy!

Return to Top
#2226260 - 11/25/19 03:57 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thank you, Randy.

Does anyone see a problem with incorporating the Tax language in on the Borrower Authorization Form? I'm hoping to stay away from a seperate sheet. We'd label it so it stands out just print it on the same page.

Return to Top
#2226444 - 11/27/19 06:04 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Truffle Royale
crcmnot Offline
Gold Star
Truffle - this is exactly where we incorporated ours so we didn't have to add an extra piece of paper.

Return to Top
#2226577 - 12/02/19 09:48 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
Does this pertain only to mortgage lending?

Return to Top
#2227609 - 12/17/19 09:46 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
sahines Offline
New Poster
Bump

Return to Top
#2227619 - 12/17/19 11:51 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Would the "sharing" consent requirement also apply to loan reviews by a third party, or examiners who look at loan files and see the tax returns? I don't believe there are any exemptions on the sharing aspect.

Return to Top
#2227620 - 12/17/19 11:54 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Oh, one more question I wanted to ask - can the taxpayer withdraw consent?

Return to Top
#2227621 - 12/18/19 12:36 AM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not addressed in the statute.

Return to Top
#2227656 - 12/18/19 04:11 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent rlcarey
GrBo1006 Offline
100 Club
Does this apply to a loss mitigation application?

Return to Top
#2227659 - 12/18/19 04:27 PM Re: Taxpayer First Act - Consent Sgt. Pepper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It applies to sharing IRS return information. The purpose of which is not important. It actually has nothing specifically to do with the fact that you are lending, but whether or not you are going to be sharing the return information with a third party for whatever purpose.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z