BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2226060 - 11/20/19 11:58 PM Detached structure with covered walkway
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Hello,

I have what seems like a dumb question. I have read the regs and guidance on this matter and about half a dozen threads. Just making sure my conclusion is correct.

SCENARIO - Customer has a large SFR (primary residence - consumer purpose) and a"game room/golf cart storage" the is joined via a covered patio.

I would consider this structure as not detached and not eligible for the detached structure exemption.

However, my question is this. Sharing the same roof, would the game room be considered a separate structure and would coverage need to include both structures? Home is valued well over max NFIP limit of $250k so would 2nd structure require additional coverage.

My opinion is that they are two separate structures joined by a roof, the 2nd structure cannot be exempted and that additional coverage would be required.

Do you agree/disagree? Please let me know. Hoping I am wrong lol

From the preamble to the final regulations:

Therefore, for purposes of the detached structure exemption, the Agencies have drafted the final rule to clarify that a structure is “detached” from the primary residential structure if it is not joined by any structural connection to the residential structure. That is, a structure is “detached” if it stands alone. This clarification is consistent with the coverage provision of the NFIP’s Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP) for additions and extensions to a dwelling unit.

From the NFIP Flood Insurance Manual

Additions and Extensions
The NFIP insures additions and extensions attached to and in contact with the building by means of a rigid exterior wall, a solid load-bearing interior wall, a stairway, an elevated walkway, or a roof. At the insured’s option, additions and extensions connected by any of these methods may be separately insured. Additions and extensions attached to and in contact with the building by means of a common interior wall that is not a solid load-bearing wall are always considered part of the building and cannot be separately insured.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2226061 - 11/21/19 10:31 AM Re: Detached structure with covered walkway JC (Darth HMDA)
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If it is not detached, then it is covered under the single policy. If it is detached, it does not appear to be used for residential purposes, unless it also has living quarters - so it is exempt. I don't think having a covered patio inbetween changes that determination.

Return to Top
#2226262 - 11/25/19 04:40 PM Re: Detached structure with covered walkway JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thank you Randy!! Appreciate your insight sir! Getting paranoid smile

Return to Top