Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2226428 - 11/27/19 04:47 PM Threatened by customer, close accounts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

An employee and family was threatened by an individual outside of work for no clear cause. It is then later found that said individual holds accounts with employee's financial institution and uses the branch where employee works. Employee is uncomfortable with this individual coming into the workplace.

Are there any reasons as to why this individuals accounts cannot be closed? What are some of the legal consequences this could bring?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2226430 - 11/27/19 05:03 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Close him out.

#2226440 - 11/27/19 05:36 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I would close immediately.

#2226441 - 11/27/19 05:59 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Two words....."BYE FELICIA"

#2226442 - 11/27/19 06:02 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
And if worried about the risks,think of the lawsuit that could happen should the employee be harmed in the workplace.

#2226464 - 11/27/19 08:28 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Kimo in Idaho Offline
100 Club
Totally agree with everyone here, particularly DeeQ's last comment. Employee's safety is your responsibility first not providing one individual's banking accounts. The only thing I would consider is documenting the situation just in case a complaint goes to your regulator, not a big deal or risk but its always nice to have that prepared just in case and it shouldn't take much.

#2227629 - 12/18/19 01:23 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would read your account disclosure. It should state something to the effect “the bank has the right to close an account without cause". This is a catch all and in most cases covers the bank from any sort of fallout. Agree you have to document the situation in the event it gets raised in the future.

#2227630 - 12/18/19 01:23 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would read your account disclosure. It should state something to the effect “the bank has the right to close an account without cause". This is a catch all and in most cases covers the bank from any sort of fallout. Agree you have to document the situation in the event it gets raised in the future.

#2227632 - 12/18/19 02:17 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Just in case you need to hear it again - I agree with all of the above. Lace those boots up and kick him out the door.

#2227634 - 12/18/19 02:19 PM Re: Threatened by customer, close accounts? Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Check state law to see if there is any advance notice requirement. At least one state requires 30 days' notice, except in case of fraud. If the account gets direct deposit of any recurring federal benefit, federal regulations require 30 days' advance notice, except when fraud is involved. If fraud is involved and no advance notice is given, the bank is required to arrange for the delivery of any federal benefit ACH credit received within the 30-day period.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale