Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2227176 - 12/11/19 03:38 PM Social Security Number
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
We have a customer that opened a checking account and we have discovered that the ss number was issued before date of birth. Tried calling SS but not getting any response. Any suggestions.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2227184 - 12/11/19 04:31 PM Re: Social Security Number Patricia
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Did you see the SS card or was the number given verbally? That would influence my decision. If I have an image of the SS card and can verify we didn't transpose a number, I would close out the account and mail the person a check for the balance. If it is possible I transposed the number and couldn't get SS to help, I would require the customer to bring in the card to verify and decide what to do at that time.

Return to Top
#2227190 - 12/11/19 05:43 PM Re: Social Security Number Patricia
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How do you know it was issued before the date of birth? Those services providers may not be accurate.

Return to Top
#2227220 - 12/11/19 08:34 PM Re: Social Security Number Patricia
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
I agree with rlcarey. At a previous employer we used LexisNexis to verify a customer's identity (Name, DOB, Address, SSN). Information as to SS # origin location and issue date was very commonly inaccurate. We did not use that information to make any decisions.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett