Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2202234 - 01/07/19 08:54 PM Lock n Shop
MtgComp Offline
Chicago, IL
Some lenders offer a "lock n shop" program by which a borrower can get a preapproval and lock a rate prior to having a property address and thus triggering disclosures. A client of mine is looking to implement such a program but has mentioned that Well Fargo has taken issue with this practice as of late and not allowing this. I have no idea what specifically the issue is they have.

Im sure there are state laws to take into consideration and I am going to assume the rate locks are being honored.

Other than those two issues, is anyone aware of what compliance risks might be associated with this practice or any law/rule which would prohibit this?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2202319 - 01/08/19 05:14 PM Re: Lock n Shop MtgComp
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Investors are not going to be too excited about loans that show charges to the borrower prior to an "intent to proceed". I doubt that the regulators will either.

Return to Top
#2202359 - 01/08/19 07:56 PM Re: Lock n Shop MtgComp
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You cannot lock a rate on secondary market without a property address. What a bank can do with it's in-house loans is out of my line of experience.

Return to Top
#2227140 - 12/10/19 09:33 PM Re: Lock n Shop MtgComp
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
If there aren't any fees charged before the property address is located and therefore the LE provided, I don't see any issues with this. We've had a lock n shop program for a while now and have not received any regulatory scrutiny.

Does anyone know if we could (or should) provide a rate lock agreement once the rate is locked on an in-house preapproval?

Return to Top
#2227173 - 12/11/19 03:22 PM Re: Lock n Shop MtgComp
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
How would you lock a rate without a rate lock agreement?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2227226 - 12/11/19 09:00 PM Re: Lock n Shop MtgComp
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
John hits the nail on the head. Anymore you have to have an agreement to have a 'lock'. That's not to say you couldn't honor whatever you quoted, but it won't be 'locked' without an agreement.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z