Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2227311 - 12/12/19 09:55 PM Shipping Container = Building?
bropliance Offline
New Poster
East Texas
Would a shipping container be considered a building for flood purposes? I would think not since it wouldn't be affixed to a permanent site.

Building definition from NFIP:
• A structure with two or more outside rigid walls and a fully secured roof, that is affixed to a permanent site; or
• A manufactured home (a “manufactured home,” also known as a mobile home, is a structure: built on a permanent chassis, transported to its site in one or more sections, and affixed to a permanent foundation); or
• A travel trailer without wheels, built on a chassis and affixed to a permanent foundation, that is regulated under the community’s floodplain management and building ordinances or laws.

“Building” does not mean a gas or liquid storage tank or a recreational vehicle, park trailer, or other similar vehicle, except as described above.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2227312 - 12/12/19 10:01 PM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not unless it is anchored, but flood plain management rules would not allow this to reside in a SFHA unanchored, as it would float and knock down other buildings.

Return to Top
#2227350 - 12/13/19 05:52 PM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
So, Randy, am I interpreting your opinion correctly (if they didn't specifically write this container out of the deed of trust) that the bank would have to 1) require that they affix this shipping container, and 2) require flood insurance? Yikes! I can first see the loan officer in that type of situation saying it's ridiculous. Next the insurance agent will come back and say they can't insure that.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#2227353 - 12/13/19 05:56 PM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
An unanchored shipping container would be I imagine considered personal property and a deed of trust would not reach it.

Return to Top
#2227423 - 12/14/19 04:24 AM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
Some doc providers do have template deed of trust language that does include personal property as standard language. Unless it is removed or adjusted in the personal property definitions it might be part of the deed anyways.

Return to Top
#2227482 - 12/16/19 07:23 PM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What is the purpose of the shipping container? If it isn't affixed it isn't eligible for flood. It could be a storage shed. But I have also seen these connected to others and covered with dirt such that they are a home. They act as the shell. I would believe that with dirt on the top, bottom and 3 sides it's considered "affixed" and flood eligible.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2227515 - 12/17/19 01:33 PM Re: Shipping Container = Building? bropliance
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have seen many of these "affixed". They are used for all sorts of purposes.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top