Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2227914 - 12/23/19 02:22 PM Debit Card Dispute Abuse
Michelle Offline
We are a Visa issuer and have a member right now disputing 6 ATM withdrawals from 4 different ATM locations. They claim they never received the funds from any of them. Aside from the fact that this is highly unlikely, do we have the right to deny their claims based on volume within a short period of time. I see where Visa requires a signature if 3 or more disputes are filed within 30 days, but I don't see where we can actually deny the dispute. Our concern is that the member will spend the provisional credit, we will loose the dispute, and the account will be negative.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2227915 - 12/23/19 02:28 PM Re: Debit Card Dispute Abuse Michelle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They are claiming the ATMs failed to dispense the cash (i.e., didn't get the funds) or they didn't do the transactions? There is a big difference. Are they local ATMs, have they used them before?

Return to Top
#2227974 - 12/24/19 02:33 PM Re: Debit Card Dispute Abuse Michelle
Michelle Offline
The transaction posted to their account but the machine did not dispense the cash. And, yes they have used the ATM before and in this case, they are claiming non-receipt of funds for more than one instance at the same ATM.

Return to Top
#2227975 - 12/24/19 03:06 PM Re: Debit Card Dispute Abuse Michelle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Then unless you can get the other institution to respond that their machines balanced before the 10 days expire and they confirmed in writing, I am not sure how you would not have to provide provisional credit.

And they tried this 6 times at 4 different locations and are just now reporting it? Make sure you never issue them another card.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett