Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2227489 - 12/16/19 07:57 PM 2X Close CtoP 1 App vs 2 Apps
Cheli Offline
Platinum Poster
Cheli
Good afternoon,
My FI currently provides a 2x close ctop loan. We take 1 application, turn it into a construction loan and then an end loan. 1 (same) application date for both loans; disclose both loans within 3 days of initial credit request.

My predecessor stated that the reason why the FI does it this way is 1) so that the FI can confirm that there is a permanent financing in place (if the FI does not receive a take-out letter) and 2) it will allow the FI to not report the construction-only phase to HMDA because the FI can prove it is temporary financing rather than short term.

My FI is now wanting to do 2 applications, with the Borrower applying for the end loan later on down the road as the construction phase draws to a close. I don't think this is a good idea. My understanding is, if my FI does it this way, then my FI will be obligated to report the construction-only loans if it is terminated before my FI receives an application for the end loan...
Can someone help me understand the consequences (good or bad) to allowing a Consumer to apply for a construction loan first, and then later applying for the end loan?

Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2227494 - 12/16/19 08:33 PM Re: 2X Close CtoP 1 App vs 2 Apps Cheli
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What does the below statement mean? If the construction loan is made on the understanding that there will be take-out refinancing whether from you or some other creditor, it would be temporary financing.

then my FI will be obligated to report the construction-only loans if it is terminated before my FI receives an application for the end loan

Return to Top
#2227575 - 12/17/19 07:00 PM Re: 2X Close CtoP 1 App vs 2 Apps Cheli
Cheli Offline
Platinum Poster
Cheli
Hi Randy- What I meant was having proof that the end financing is intended either by a take-out letter from another lender or by my FI creating the end loan with the 1 application.
I thought that the FI had to show proof that permanent financing is intended...?

Return to Top
#2227605 - 12/17/19 09:07 PM Re: 2X Close CtoP 1 App vs 2 Apps Cheli
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am not sure that you need any sort of proof. It would be a simple question asked of the applicants and documented.

Return to Top
#2228034 - 12/27/19 06:32 PM Re: 2X Close CtoP 1 App vs 2 Apps Cheli
Cheli Offline
Platinum Poster
Cheli
Sorry for the delay...Thank you, Randy. I will deem my interpretation simply as a business decision my predecessor made before me :-) Thank you for your time and knowledge!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z