Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2228053 - 12/27/19 10:06 PM Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage
Compliance Nut Offline
100 Club
If a lender makes a loan to a borrower for a non-residential condominium unit that is in a flood zone and the condo association does not have flood coverage, what are the options for the borrower? Can a private flood policy be written for a borrower who doesn't own the building?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2228055 - 12/27/19 10:37 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If the borrower doesn't own the building, how are they pledging the building as collateral? If the building isn't collateral, flood insurance doesn't apply.

Return to Top
#2228057 - 12/27/19 11:10 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
Compliance Nut Offline
100 Club
It's a commercial condo unit (which happens to be an airplane hangar). I guess I should have clarified - the condo will be owned by the borrower. The condo association does not carry flood insurance on the condo. So, can the borrower obtain a private policy instead?

Return to Top
#2228058 - 12/27/19 11:19 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No.

E. Non-Residential Condominium – Unit Owners Coverage

• Use the Dwelling Form to insure residential condominium unit owner’s
contents in non-residential condominium buildings. Condominium
unit owners in a non-residential condominium may not purchase
building coverage.

It basically makes the property ineligible for collateral for a loan by a bank.

Return to Top
#2230627 - 02/10/20 04:23 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
When I read the FEMA documentation on individual residential condo coverage, they use the term "may" be insured. If the bank takes the individual condo as collateral, not citing the contents, is flood insurance REQUIRED on the contents/fixtures etc?

Return to Top
#2230628 - 02/10/20 04:33 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If contents are not part of your collateral, content coverage is never required.

Return to Top
#2230630 - 02/10/20 04:43 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
Where I am struggling is that I guarantee that the appraiser is using the finishing's, fixtures kitchen, granite etc as a part of the value of the unit, especially in high-end condos on a beach. But a HOA coverage policy, unless it is the RCBAP type, would not replace those. Even with the RCBAP policies, the HOA can change the coverage and the unit owner would have no coverage.

Return to Top
#2230639 - 02/10/20 05:40 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It doesn't matter what the appraiser uses for appraised value, it only matters what you are taking as security.

Return to Top
#2236185 - 05/05/20 05:27 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage rlcarey
Wanna Know Offline
This is something I am struggling with. even though it is a non-residential condo (because the commercial % exceeds the residential %), if the flood insurance lapses you cannot force place or require the borrower to obtain insurance for the individual residential unit?

Return to Top
#2236202 - 05/05/20 08:37 PM Re: Commercial Condo Assoc has no flood coverage Compliance Nut
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can't force place a NFIP policy. You might be able to force place a private policy. Otherwise you are basically left with calling the loan.

Return to Top