Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2228950 - 01/14/20 03:29 PM Misuse of IOLTA- SAR?
chuckchuck Offline
We have a customer who used to be a sole practitioner, he has since gone out of business, but continues to use his IOLTA account as his personal account. His former operating account is closed, but his IOLTA did not. At this stage he is working for another firm and is running his own personal payroll through his IOLTA and then just takes it out in cash. The cash is not structured or high dollar amounts.
Is this a SAR worthy infraction? Initially all the cash leaving was suspicious but we have figured out what he is doing.
It's not the intent an IOLTA was used for but I am not sure it's suspicious and/or illegal.
It is violating our states' BAR regulations, but other than that? I would like some feedback on how others would handle this one.
Thanks,

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2228957 - 01/14/20 04:08 PM Re: Misuse of IOLTA- SAR? chuckchuck
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Close the account and move on. Report the infraction to the BAR association if the rules require that.

Return to Top
#2228971 - 01/14/20 04:52 PM Re: Misuse of IOLTA- SAR? rlcarey
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
I agree with rlcarey. An IOLTA account is set up for a specific purpose. If that purpose no longer exists the account should be closed, or at least reclassified as a personal account.

Return to Top
#2229050 - 01/15/20 01:40 PM Re: Misuse of IOLTA- SAR? chuckchuck
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
sounds like he is using the IOLTA to avoid paying any bank fees, and you've caught him doing so. From you limited description it doesn't sound like any client money is running through this, just his own. So i'd close it and move on as well, but i probably would not bother reporting to the state bar association unless you've determined he is commingling client funds with personal funds.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z