Thread Options
#2229515 - 01/23/20 07:04 PM How often can I count renewals?
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
We have a number of businesses within a local moderate income tract. We do a number of working lines of credit for these businesses, usually 1-yr in length. These have been previously counted as CD loans because they are revitalizing or stabilizing low- or moderate-income areas and providing jobs to the employees of these businesses.

The person who managed CRA previously was only counting renewals and refinances of these loans once per exam period, but I believe these can be counted once per year without regard to the exam period (and increases could be counted in addition to). For instance, in a 3-yr exam period, I could count an origination and 2 renewals as 3 loans on my CD loan log. Am I correct?

Return to Top
CRA
#2229551 - 01/23/20 09:00 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
EB Korz Offline
New Poster
I would say it would depend on how the loan was written.

If a working line has a maturity date, we only report it the year it is originated. If a working line is a demand note, which is then reviewed by our credit dept on an annual basis and then renewed (i.e. collect updated financials), then we report it each year it is renewed.

So if we had a demand line originate last year, we reported it. If our credit dept collects updated financials and documents the renewal for this year, we will report it.

Return to Top
#2229566 - 01/24/20 01:59 AM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
You can report a "renewed" loan subject to the once-per-year rule. But be sure the loan is qualified as a "renewal" which for CRA purposes is technically different from the usage of the word in the industry (this is a big complaint of mine that I've asked the regulators to revisit because it results in undercounting many loans).

Return to Top
#2229570 - 01/24/20 01:20 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
So what's the definition of a renewal for CRA purposes and how does that differ from the industry version of a renewal?

Return to Top
#2229575 - 01/24/20 02:36 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
A "renewal" according to CRA is an extension of the maturity date of the note. Many banks renew lines of credit evidenced by demand notes, especially loans secured by UCC filings to avoid disruption of the continuity of the lien. Since the loans are callable on demand, they are not considered to be renewals under CRA although common usage in banking would call them "renewed" lines of credit, for example.

Return to Top
#2229863 - 01/29/20 06:35 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
So, we extend the maturity date, keep the same loan number, pull financials, and re-write the loan on new paper with a new note. Is this a "renewal" under CRA? Am I understanding the difference correctly?

Return to Top
#2229880 - 01/29/20 09:05 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
A "refinance" is when you replace an old note with a new note and a "renewal" as defined for CRA purposes is when you extend the maturity date on the note.

Return to Top
#2229887 - 01/29/20 10:24 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks Len. So can we count our "refinances"?

Return to Top
#2229936 - 01/30/20 04:43 PM Re: How often can I count renewals? M&M
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
subject to the once per year rule

Return to Top