BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2228580 - 01/08/20 09:02 PM Deciding where to retire
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
My husband and I expect to retire in the next 10 - 12 years. We currently live in a cold climate and would like to move somewhere warmer, but we're not sure where. We want to start using vacation time to scout out potential places, and want to make sure we really get a feel for how the places we're visiting would be to live, as opposed to just being a tourist. For example, I know I want to live in a really walkable neighborhood, but how do I look for it in an unfamiliar city? Has anyone here gone through a similar process to this? I'd love any advice you can give!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2228581 - 01/08/20 09:07 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Do you know if you'd prefer mountains, coastline, small towns, larger cities, etc.? Maybe you could narrow it down a bit first.

BTW - I think living in Maine would be AMAZING - except for the bitter cold in winter. One of our retirement dreams in a few years is to rent a cabin and spend a month or two in Maine - during the summer.

Return to Top
#2228583 - 01/08/20 09:14 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Someone I respected a lot once told me that she wouldn't live in an area that doesn't have a college or university. Her reasoning was that there would be cultural opportunities and decent medical facilities nearby.

Return to Top
#2228588 - 01/08/20 09:44 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Mrs. PP and I are doing that. I work remotely now so we made the decision to take the winters and scout out potential retirement locations. We are currently in Gulf Shores, AL and loving it. We did an AirBNB on the beach from January 1 through February 28 and have liked it so much we will be back from November 1 to March 1 next winter. We may try Arizona next year, but we both like being near the water and there are a lot of snowbirds here right now and it is the slow time of year so snowbirds are catered to by local businesses.

Return to Top
#2228594 - 01/08/20 10:12 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Del, Airbnb might be a really good idea. I've used it for traveling, and you can often find housing that is in neighborhoods rather than touristy areas. The descriptions will usually give you a pretty good idea of the specific area that the rental is located in, and most owners are pretty good about answering questions.

Sounds like a fun project to pursue!

Return to Top
#2228599 - 01/08/20 10:37 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
MSN has numerous 'best places to retire" articles that I've found very interesting. Once you click on one, you'll get them popping up in various forms regularly. Besides warmer weather, I focus on where my $$ will last the longest without having to change my life style that much.
I do like Airbnb too. Besides staying in one, look at the Experiences offered in the area. They give you a taste of the kind of things you can do in the area and where the best food, drink, etc., is to be found.

Return to Top
#2228603 - 01/08/20 10:46 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The real question is if you want to retire in one specific place. I think I am going to continue living where I am (maybe downsizing a little) and then just rent places a month or so at a time all over the place. It is a lot cheaper and less hassle in the long run than buying a second home and you can go wherever all over the world. But I like where I currently live.

Return to Top
#2228610 - 01/09/20 12:37 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Also, consider taxes: income, sales, inheritance, property. etc. Some states look better than others in that regard.

Return to Top
#2228613 - 01/09/20 01:13 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I wouldn't mind being a snow bird but my husband just wants to stay in one place, so even though we love Maine, we need a permanent move. I love having a change of seasons, and don't want to be someplace so warm that we feel trapped inside by the heat for a good share of the year. We're also spoiled by being so close to the ocean, and are aware we probably will need to accept being at least alittle farther away from water. (Right now we live two blocks from a neighborhood beach that's a real source of community - we don't know that it would be possible to replicate that!) I also agree with the advice about being near a college or university.

I really like the Airbnb idea. There's a lot you can learn from a distance by doing research, but you really have to be there in person to get a feel for a place.

Return to Top
#2228616 - 01/09/20 01:25 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
One thing to be aware of when looking at areas that are known as retirement/snowbird communities: There are usually rental management companies/real estate companies that are less expensive than going through VRBO or Airbnb. When you find a place to rent through either of those apps, check to see if the property is managed by a management company and reach out to them to see if you can get a better deal by avoiding the VRBO/Airbnb fees.

Return to Top
#2228618 - 01/09/20 01:36 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
DEL, I sent you a PM. smile

Return to Top
#2228684 - 01/09/20 09:06 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I'm assuming you have some hobbies/activities that you enjoy. I'd research for areas that may have a number of them in a fairly close proximity.

Return to Top
#2228904 - 01/13/20 09:10 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had joked about retiring and living in an RV that I was going to park in my kids driveways for a month at a time. That way I could eat all their food and mess up their house for a change. My daughter must have taken this to heart because she is in the process of buying her first house and it is about 1/2 mile from my house. I guess she figures I won't want to park the RV that close to home.

I've not really thought seriously about relocating when I retire. I like where I live. It has all the seasons - deer season, turkey season, trout season, and bass season. I've got probably 12 years to think about it.

Return to Top
#2228906 - 01/13/20 09:13 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
1/2 mile Thomas? I think I see your daughter doing her weekly grocery shopping in your pantry. smile

Return to Top
#2228911 - 01/13/20 09:26 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Portugal.

Return to Top
#2228912 - 01/13/20 09:26 PM Re: Deciding where to retire Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Skittles
1/2 mile Thomas? I think I see your daughter doing her weekly grocery shopping in your pantry. smile

More likely she will enjoy the benefits of having a handyman/free labor nearby. I am really excited for her, it is a beautiful home. In fact, after I went with her to look at it I told her that if she wasn't buying it I would consider it!

Return to Top
#2228923 - 01/13/20 10:06 PM Re: Deciding where to retire thomasj
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
I agree with Randy. We love the Sarasota/Venice area in Florida along with Captiva/Sanibel, but with HOA and RE taxes for 5 months out of the year, it is not worth it to us to buy, just rent. Plus you can catch the desert and mountains of Tucson for a change of pace during the winter months. Once you buy, you are committed to that place.

Return to Top
#2229377 - 01/21/20 08:13 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My sister and BIL somewhat did that. They have been in Central FL ever since he retired from the AF, then he retired from Lockheed and they decided to move closer to TN. But not all the WAY to TN because it's too cold. [their son lives there]. They tried a beachy town in South Bama near where they once lived while in service, but found it to be too desolate during off season. They ended up near Montgomery, close to where they once lived when stationed there and now feel like they have the best of both worlds...close enough to go either direction and be in a different scenery. Yet not so cold and not so isolated, yet not in a big metro.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2229406 - 01/22/20 04:00 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
one deer Offline
Any where but work
7.5 years to retirement, target age 67. Considering New Mexico, reasonable altitudes, close to mountains, beautiful, hiking, relaxed pace of living, fishing, culture, food. Just looking at options right now; not thinking of this as a permanent move but a stop over until or if we are unable to care for ourselves someday.

Return to Top
#2229413 - 01/22/20 04:40 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
JobSecurity Online
Platinum Poster
We are also trying to decide where we want to be in 6 years. We live in the 'country' right now and like not having neighbors and the ability to do what we want with and on our property. We just struggle with the thought of trying to up keep the hobby farm in our older age. Things that are important to us are medical and an airport. I like Randy's thought process and had not thought about living like that in retirement.

Return to Top
#2229478 - 01/23/20 02:45 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The last time I was on a cruise ship, there was a lady that had basically taken up permanent residency there. She was on her 168th (or so) week. There's food, entertainment, a ship doctor, housekeeping, etc. She got to meet new people each week, knew the staff very well and got to travel to nice places. She also got all sorts of perks for being a frequent cruiser. Apparently it was cheaper than a retirement home. I've often considered that may be the plan for me someday.

P.S. My wife says "no". smile

Return to Top
#2229497 - 01/23/20 05:41 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I'd definitely be in on that permanent cruising life David!

Return to Top
#2229631 - 01/24/20 08:33 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
I'm 131 calendar days/93 banking days away from retirement. We love our house and neighborhood. We're close enough to the metro that we have everything we want and a major university 20 miles away. Medical facilities are excellent. Entertainment amd restaurant options are also really good. But I hate winter unless it's sunny with dry roads. We've had all kinds of thoughts about where to go to escape winter. What my house elf discovered after retiring 2 years ago is that cold weather isn't a big deal if you don't have to go anywhere. Now that I'm back to being able to work remotely when I want, I haven't had to fight the 28 mile commute in the ice and snow. It's changing my idea of wanting to snowbird it from November through March. Our house is paid for, but the taxes, insurance, and HOA are still a hefty chunk of change. I definitely don't want two properties. We love Marco Island, but haven't found the ideal rental yet. Haven't tried Gulf Shores or Pensacola, but on our list of 'maybe' for winter. We know we want to be near a beach and be able to see sunsets over the water (I'm totally NOT a sunrise girl and don't expect that to magically change in a few months). I can see January & February on the beach and March near spring training in AZ. I just don't want to be away from the grandsons for that long.

I read about the lady permanently cruising. I think it would be fantastic if I was alone.

Return to Top
#2229662 - 01/27/20 03:20 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Affordable short term winter destinations: Parts of coastal Mexico and Mexico City, Belize, Panama, Portugal, Thailand... imagine the interesting short travel hops form the last two. All with good heath care, great weather, ex-pat friendly, and with very affordable cost of living. In any of these you can get a great rental home in a city center with all the top amenities, and expenses and dining for 2-3k a month.

Our plan is to downsize here for summer, and long winter away for 6-7 months with 2-3 month stays in various cities and countries overseas.

Return to Top
#2229671 - 01/27/20 04:32 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i refuse to divulge my retirement plans as you guys are not trustworthy and i expect at least one of you started this so you could see who would be out of town when and how you can break into their homes and steal everything to supplement your retirement savings. i'm not falling for that trick!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4