TN
Happy - you make me smile!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2229685 - 01/27/20 06:53 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
You're on to us Happy. We just want your collection of Mardi Gras beads. smirk smile

Return to Top
#2229782 - 01/28/20 05:52 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Mrs. ABC and I often discuss this even though we are 20-25 years away from retiring. We are both in the NE but hate the winter. FL isn't for us and we've been zeroing in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Richardson, Plano, possibly more) along with the possibility of retiring abroad (Portugal, Thailand, Spain or Italy). Texas, outside of real estate taxes, appears to have a lot going for it at the moment.

Walkability would be great but the cities that have great walkability scores tend to be in the NE and very expensive (Manhattan and Jersey City for example).

I've also wondered if retiring somewhere cold but not having to leave the house is doable?

Return to Top
#2229803 - 01/28/20 08:33 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
ABC - turns out, I like winter when it's cold and sunny. I just hate it when it's gray and gross out. We get enough warning on incoming snow and ice that it's easy to calculate how long it's going to take for the plows to get through after the storm blows through and how many meals and snacks we need to have handy so that we don't feel deprived. Worst it's been is 3 days which was really easy. We're in a large KC suburb - everything is here, nothing is walkable, and transit is laughable (but parking is easy!).

I love the idea of Portugal or Australia or Ireland, but haven't figured out how health care works. I don't think it's free for ex-pats and I don't think Medicare works abroad (would love to be wrong). My cousin retired to Austin, TX, and loves it. Our kids and grandsons are here, the house is paid for, and I'm down to 91.5 banking days before retirement, so this stuff has suddenly gotten real. For now, we're sticking with KS residency and chasing summer when we get sick of winter.

Return to Top
#2229821 - 01/28/20 09:55 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Pippii, I live about 30 minutes from Marco Island smile

Return to Top
#2229826 - 01/28/20 11:13 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
MB Guy? I kinda sorta hate you right now - could I send you a large box of snow? Up the coast, down the coast, or inland? Have to figure out how big the box needs to be...

We vacationed there last November and loved it. Heck, just move me to Ft Myers near a Mellow Mushroom for Jan/Feb and I'll be happy! Send me back to Lawrence, KS in time for March Madness. smile

Return to Top
#2229842 - 01/29/20 03:55 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
LOL, I'm OK with the hate. I lived in Pittsburgh for 30 years and as much as I love the city, general area and really good people there, the weather is miserable so I had to get out. I actually live in Naples, about 10 minutes off Collier Boulevard/Rt 951.

Marco is nice, but to be honest I've only been on the island prob 20 times in the 21+ years I've lived here for some reason. My good friend is the BSA Officer with our bank and she lives on a canal on Marco (has for prob 20+ years) and has a beautiful place.

Return to Top
#2229858 - 01/29/20 05:59 PM Re: Deciding where to retire ACBbank
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted by ACBbank
Mrs. ABC and I often discuss this even though we are 20-25 years away from retiring. We are both in the NE but hate the winter. FL isn't for us and we've been zeroing in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Richardson, Plano, possibly more) along with the possibility of retiring abroad (Portugal, Thailand, Spain or Italy). Texas, outside of real estate taxes, appears to have a lot going for it at the moment.

Walkability would be great but the cities that have great walkability scores tend to be in the NE and very expensive (Manhattan and Jersey City for example).

I've also wondered if retiring somewhere cold but not having to leave the house is doable?

YES! Come to TX! Look at maybe McKinney or Prosper if you are interested in the Dallas area. There's a lot to be said for San Antonio as well.

Return to Top
#2229860 - 01/29/20 06:20 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The cool thing about the DFW metroplex is (and i have no idea whether you prefer urban, rural, or suburban life ACB) is that you can be an hour away (or less) from downtown Dallas and be out in the country (which would appeal to me). Places like Celina, Pilot Point, Muenster, etc.....

Return to Top
#2229876 - 01/29/20 08:54 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
MB - I love Naples. It looks like the affordable version of Marco Island where virtually everything is beautiful. Someone told us that hurricanes always skip over Naples. I'd have laughed that off, but I've lived in tornado alley my entire life and - *knocks on wood* - the Tongy Split continues to keep them about 10-15 miles from us. So - about those hurricanes???

But critical issue - does Naples have Mellow Mushroom? We became utterly addicted to it when we found one near the condo we rented on Isle of Palms, SC. If we move for real, we have to have good proximity to Mellow Mushroom and a beach.

Return to Top
#2229885 - 01/29/20 10:09 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
So sorry HMS Pippii not one in Naples at present according to their store locator: 21.4 miles away
10950 Eagle Village Drive , Estero FL 33913
Phone: (239) 599-2616

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2229886 - 01/29/20 10:12 PM Re: Deciding where to retire waldensouth
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted by waldensouth
So sorry HMS Pippii not one in Naples at present according to their store locator: 21.4 miles away
10950 Eagle Village Drive , Estero FL 33913
Phone: (239) 599-2616

Maybe they deliver?

Naples is a really nice place. I could not retire to Florida (the heat in summer would be unreal) but Naples is a great place to spend time.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2229890 - 01/29/20 10:33 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
OK, then. Naples is off the list, although 21 miles is a lot closer than it is from here. I'm not sure how much worse the heat would be compared to KS in the summer. I think I'm more interested in 2-3 months during the dead of winter, tbh.

I've been to too many retirement workshops in the last couple of months. Medicare appears to cost a fortune to lock in and not worry about it. I need to get to 70 before pulling Social Security or we're screwed when one of us dies (and that was legit good advice after running the numbers). Taxes, insurance, and HOA is big bite even with the mortgage paid off. Social security becomes taxable when you're pulling money out of IRAs or 401ks and you top your deductions. #twitch On one hand, I know the presenters are trying to scare us into using their professional services and on the other hand, they're showing us the tax code, tax brackets, how we all saved everything in tax-deferred buckets because taxes would be lower in retirement except maybe not. Baking 3% inflation into the retirement budget and 0% growth in the investments to shock the budget was fun. Actually? The fun part of that was teaching the retired house elf what "stress testing" and "shocking the budget" meant.

90 more banking days left. grin

Return to Top
#2229914 - 01/30/20 02:53 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Naples is a nice place. Been here 21 years, and it would be difficult to move anywhere north of here. The heat isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's warm, absolutely, but you typically go from your AC house to your AC car to your AC work/store/whatever on the really hot days, but I've been further north where it's been just about as hot as here, plus we have the beach and the evenings and nights are unbelievable. And I'm not even speaking of fall/winter/spring when it's absolutely perfect. But, it's not for everyone, and I get that.

I would consider moving TX if we had to, or maybe a little further north in FL, but the traffic isn't too bad here and I work from home almost full time now so I have a pretty nice gig that would be hard to make better. Although, we are in the midst of a merger, so I may not have the choice, unfortunately.

Return to Top
#2229931 - 01/30/20 04:03 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
No rush to retire from the 25 hour week I've been working for years. I honestly like the job I do and continue to learn more here too. However, the ice on the driveway today has given me newfound respect for the notion of snowbirding. Thank you all for sharing thoughts that I will ponder.

Return to Top
#2229943 - 01/30/20 05:51 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
OldeTymeBanker Offline
My husband and I too discuss this a lot. We have lived out West for decades, and I love the low humidity. We live in an area that does get snow, but it's not onerous most years. Hubby's family are in Florida panhandle, where he grew up, and he would like to move there, but the hurricanes, humidity and heat scare me away. I am also not fond of living in a tornado prone area. We don't really have those here. The occasional earthquake, but we have not one had one here that caused damage in the 27 years we've been here. But we will need to make a decision within the next 5 years, possibly sooner. Not an easy decision to make.

Return to Top
#2229950 - 01/30/20 06:12 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
One thought I don't see anyone addressing here is care needed as one ages or are you all anticipating moving into some sort of retirement community that includes advanced care if/when needed? I'm loathe to move away from family who can help out. Having lived with my mother as she ages points out that realistically, moving states away in my 70s would either be short-lived or ill-fated, neither of which makes it very appealing.

Return to Top
#2229951 - 01/30/20 06:13 PM Re: Deciding where to retire Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
One thought I don't see anyone addressing here is care needed as one ages or are you all anticipating moving into some sort of retirement community that includes advanced care if/when needed? I'm loathe to move away from family who can help out. Having lived with my mother as she ages points out that realistically, moving states away in my 70s would either be short-lived or ill-fated, neither of which makes it very appealing or fiscally sound.

Return to Top
#2229954 - 01/30/20 06:37 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Aging is something they've hammered pretty hard in the retirement seminars we've gone to in the last few months. We're generally healthy and excited about freedom at the front end of retirement, but the reality is that most of us don't drop dead unexpectedly and it can be rough at the back end of retirement. One key thing (beside long-term care coverage) is to be close to good medical facilities and understand the differences between Medicare and the Advantage plans (cheaper, but have some pitfalls if you're not in/close to an urban area with excellent medical. At this point, we'll stay where we are because no mortgage, family is within 15 minutes, and we have access to everything. Since we're used to this, we hadn't considered what it would be like to live an hour or more away from good medical and family. If you're not in/near a big urban area, the ugly side of getting old is something to consider. I love the idea of chasing the sun for a month or two every winter though.

Another thing that came up over and over is that when one spouse dies, the other one loses either their social security or their deceased spouse's social security. You get to keep whichever is higher, so higher wage earner ideally puts off taking it until 70. I looked at our finances and with both of us drawing social security, we'd be fine right now. Down the road, one of would rather be getting mine that comes at 70 than what I can get now - there's almost a $1k/mo difference. Living on *that* budget is a whole new ballgame. We'll probably downsize at some point and find a retirement community nearby that we like, but hopefully that's a long ways away.

Return to Top
#2229956 - 01/30/20 06:53 PM Re: Deciding where to retire Truffle Royale
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted by Truffle Royale
One thought I don't see anyone addressing here is care needed as one ages or are you all anticipating moving into some sort of retirement community that includes advanced care if/when needed? I'm loathe to move away from family who can help out. Having lived with my mother as she ages points out that realistically, moving states away in my 70s would either be short-lived or ill-fated, neither of which makes it very appealing or fiscally sound.

^^^^
This!

I have discussed this at length with my husband as the years approach quickly. We live in upstate NY so you know what that means, long snowy cold winters and he works outside all year. He wants to put the for sale sign up immediately and I say no way. Our daughters are here and I have always said, if we move away when we are relatively young and healthy what happens when we get older and need help. My MIL is going to be 96 in a month, she lives in Florida and is still in her own home but I have often said if two of her daughters had not relocated near by she would be back up here in the cold because although she is ok, she doesn't drive anymore and could never be there by herself.

I do think I have convinced him to snowbird to the sunshine state. smile

Return to Top
#2229959 - 01/30/20 07:05 PM Re: Deciding where to retire Soccer
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I'm going to retire right here but probably head "south" for a month or two (or four) during the coldest, snowiest part of the year. I do like Florida but would like to check out Arizona or New Mexico as well. Still have 8-10 years before I can go for more than a couple weeks.

Return to Top
#2229963 - 01/30/20 07:37 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
If you know where you want to retire and have the ability, I know a lot of people buy the retirement house and then rent it on VRBO or AirBNB using a management company. Their theory is that the rent will hopefully knock down the mortgage by the time they're ready to retire. I'm not sure I'd have had the risk appetite to do that 20 years ago, but it's a fun idea. Ready made vacation house. You just block off the dates you're going to be there so that it's not rented to someone on vacation.

Return to Top
#2229964 - 01/30/20 07:50 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I need to stop reading this thread … I still have 27 some odd years before I retire.

27 years ….

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2229965 - 01/30/20 08:06 PM Re: Deciding where to retire DEL
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I know this.....if given the choice between these scenarios...

A) I can retire tomorrow. I'll live happily doing all sorts of things i want for 5 years....then i'll get sick.....slowly go downhill.....cannot care for myself....and die in 10 years.

OR

B) I have to work until i'm 75.....but i'll be in good health the entire time, be relatively happy, and then i'll retire and live 15 years and drop dead suddenly of a heart attack.

I'd choose B...i know we don't truly to get to pick either scenario......but i guess i'm saying.......work is work...we all know how to do it and i'd rather be healthy and working than retired and unhealthy. (I'm sure my stance is influenced by watching my dad.....who was very, very work-oriented his entire life.....retired at 67 or 68......and lived about another decade....and the last 5 years of his life at least were in very poor health related to dementia, cancer, pneumonia and various other ailments.)

ETA: Sorry....not exactly on topic.
Last edited by raitchjay; 01/30/20 08:11 PM.

Return to Top
#2229978 - 01/30/20 09:38 PM Re: Deciding where to retire raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by raitchjay
The cool thing about the DFW metroplex is (and i have no idea whether you prefer urban, rural, or suburban life ACB) is that you can be an hour away (or less) from downtown Dallas and be out in the country (which would appeal to me). Places like Celina, Pilot Point, Muenster, etc.....

while an hour from downtown Ft Worth certainly can place you way out in the boonies, an hour from downtown Dallas maybe gets you to mesquite, love field, arlington, rowlett...the traffic there is so bad it can take 2+ hours to get from downtown to anywhere rural

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4