Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#2230222 - 02/04/20 06:12 PM Fraud Manager Role?
jsim913 Offline
We have seen a significant rise in check fraud amongst our clients. We have operations staff who handle fraudulent check returns and tracking but want BSA to have a more hands-on role bank-wide. An emphasis will be placed on tracking, reporting, fraud trends, training staff, etc. Short of rolling up half of our back office staff into a "fraud department", can anyone advise me on how your bank is set up? We are relatively small, under $1bn.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2230274 - 02/05/20 03:02 PM Re: Fraud Manager Role? jsim913
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
our fraud group is separate from our BSA group - they perform 2 entirely different roles. Enterprise Fraud management (EFM) is responsible for all monitoring, tracking, and resolution of fraud related activity; they have monitoring software that is used, make recommendations or close accounts based on fraud, work with our corporate security as needed, and a host of other things (reporting to senior management, trend reporting, coordination with law enforcement, threshold recommendations, training, etc).

Return to Top
#2230289 - 02/05/20 04:46 PM Re: Fraud Manager Role? jsim913
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
With the exception filing SARs related to fraud all other fraud related activity is managed outside of the AML Department.

Return to Top
#2230292 - 02/05/20 05:16 PM Re: Fraud Manager Role? jsim913
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We are over a billion and I have the corporate rolls of BSA Officer & Security Officer so both functions report up to me, as I feel they should, but that's just my opinion.

Return to Top
#2230405 - 02/06/20 06:23 PM Re: Fraud Manager Role? jsim913
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
Our AML and fraud units are in the same department in order to ensure everything is transparent and efficient, but other than AML staff writing fraud SARs, as ACB mentioned, no staff members have roles in both fraud and AML. The objectives and functions of the two departments are too dissimilar in my opinion.

Return to Top
#2230427 - 02/06/20 08:27 PM Re: Fraud Manager Role? jsim913
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We utilize Verafin and use both the AML alerts and the fraud alerts. My department manages both but I've heard of banks where the fraud folks don't even have access to the fraud alerts, only the BSA person, and that blows my mind. IMO the two functions are similar, objectives different yes but at the end of the day, if there's confirmed fraud and it meets the thresholds, a SAR must be filed but as the person who handles fraud too, you bet I want access to those fraud alerts. I don't know, maybe because I've been managing both together for so long, it's hard for me to see a separation between the two. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z