Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2207061 - 02/25/19 10:09 PM Foreclosure Actions
MiMi Offline
Gold Star
MiMi
It's been a few years since we have foreclosed on a piece of property so I am a little rusty. Just to clarify: until a customer is 120 days delinquent, bank cannot send letters mentioning Foreclosure Actions; bank can only send letters asking for payments. When customer is >120 days past due, we can send demand letter for payment in full or foreclosure actions? Thanks
Last edited by MiMi; 02/25/19 10:15 PM.
Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#2207377 - 02/28/19 01:29 PM Re: Foreclosure Actions MiMi
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Mentioning foreclosure action in a letter prior to the time that the bank is prepared to initiate an action, well that is going to be a State law issue. Here is the Regulation, but you need to read the commentary carefully and sit down with you legal counsel that assists in foreclosure actions regarding what notices are required in your State under the type of foreclosure you will be using.

1024.41(f) Prohibition on foreclosure referral. (1) Pre-foreclosure review period. A servicer shall not make the first notice or filing required by applicable law for any judicial or non-judicial foreclosure process unless:

(i) A borrower's mortgage loan obligation is more than 120 days delinquent;

(ii) The foreclosure is based on a borrower's violation of a due-on-sale clause; or

(iii) The servicer is joining the foreclosure action of a superior or subordinate lienholder.

Return to Top
#2207383 - 02/28/19 02:16 PM Re: Foreclosure Actions MiMi
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Nothing in federal regs says you can't mention foreclosure prior to 120 days. You just can't start the foreclosure process. You'll have to look to state law to see what your foreclosure process looks like and what the "first notice or filing" is in the jurisdiction, but there's nothing prohibiting you from informing the borrower that you plan to foreclose in the future if they don't pay. In fact, there may be state laws requiring you do so if you actually want to start the process at 120 days. You'll want to talk to counsel.

Return to Top
#2231401 - 02/20/20 06:54 PM Re: Foreclosure Actions Inherent_Risk
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Inherent_Risk
Nothing in federal regs says you can't mention foreclosure prior to 120 days. You just can't start the foreclosure process. You'll have to look to state law to see what your foreclosure process looks like and what the "first notice or filing" is in the jurisdiction, but there's nothing prohibiting you from informing the borrower that you plan to foreclose in the future if they don't pay. In fact, there may be state laws requiring you do so if you actually want to start the process at 120 days. You'll want to talk to counsel.

Could I tag a question on to this thread? Would this be 1-4 family residence with land or would this include a mfg home loan not attached to real estate or no real estate taken as collateral? Thanks in advance

Return to Top
#2231403 - 02/20/20 06:59 PM Re: Foreclosure Actions MiMi
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No dirt - no coverage. This is a part of RESPA:

Mortgage loan means any federally related mortgage loan, as that term is defined in § 1024.2 subject to the exemptions in § 1024.5(b), but does not include open-end lines of credit (home equity plans).

Return to Top
#2231444 - 02/20/20 10:24 PM Re: Foreclosure Actions MiMi
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thank you.

Return to Top