Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2231671 - 02/25/20 09:06 PM High Minority Census Tracts
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
How do I figure out the high minority census tracts in my assessment area? Is there a database with this information?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2231674 - 02/25/20 09:21 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The FFIEC contains FFIEC Census and Demographic Data. You can filter down by state, county, and census tract. It will disply the percentage of the minority population within each census tract.

Return to Top
#2231695 - 02/25/20 10:54 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Found it - Is over 50% minority population considered "high"?

Return to Top
#2231696 - 02/25/20 11:28 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
>50% is considered a majority minority tract. >80% is considered a super majority (aggregate minorities)

Return to Top
#2231721 - 02/26/20 01:47 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Assuming you're asking for general fair lending analysis, I would ask you examiner. Our examiners only consider census tracts that are majority black or hispanic to be "majority minority" for their analysis. There's a lot of ways you can slice the data. You want to be using the same methodology your examiners will be using.

Return to Top
#2231760 - 02/26/20 05:46 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, I'm working on our fair lending analysis/risk assessment. I've identified all tracts in our assessment area that have a minority percentage above 80% and also above 50%. Now what? Should I identify how many loans were originated in these tracts? The only direction provided by the examiner was to "monitor lending distribution in high minority census tracts".

Return to Top
#2231807 - 02/26/20 08:46 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
BoomCat Offline
New Poster
Indiana
Mel in WA - I'd check the number of applications taken as well, since that shows you are getting into the majority minority tracts - also check and see how close you have branches to those tracts, or if you take online applications. See if you have marketing about your loan products getting into those majority minority tracts ("MMTs") as well as any community outreach your bank may be doing. If you don't, you will probably need to expand your marketing and outreach in those MMTs, particularly if your apps and loans in those MMTs are low.

Return to Top
#2231848 - 02/27/20 01:17 AM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Piggybacking on BoomCat, identify the penetration into your assessment area. If the bank does 2% of all the apps in the AA, they if it significantly less than 2% in any tracts, they would be underrepresented. In some cases like BC mentioned there is a plausible explanation, distance from branches, have to pass by 25 other lenders before they get to you, etc.

Look at composition of the tracts. Investment property multi-family and rental homes are going to be underwritten and marketed differently (you would not be dealing with the people living there. Identify your competition. Quicken, Rocket, BoA, Wells can flood an area with expensive air time, you don't have that luxary.

Return to Top
#2250168 - 03/05/21 10:19 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Brightside3277 Offline
Oklahoma
We are a Federal Reserve Bank. I know our examiners analyze our Fair Lending performance by our number of apps/loans in black and Hispanic majority minority census tracts, but I cannot find this outlined in their examination procedures. I want to explain this to my CRA Committee, but I am having trouble finding resources to point to.

Return to Top
#2250174 - 03/06/21 06:15 PM Re: High Minority Census Tracts Mel in WA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Interagency exam manual

Indicators of potential discriminatory Redlining such as:
R1. *Significant differences, as revealed in HMDA data, in the number of applications received, withdrawn, approved not accepted, and closed for incompleteness or loans originated in those areas in the institution's market that have relatively high concentrations of minority group residents compared with areas with relatively low concentrations of minority residents.

FRB considers Blacks and Hispanics disadvantaged.

Return to Top