Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2231855 - 02/27/20 01:42 PM Collecting GMI on a Refi of a HELOC
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I know that on a HELOC, which is secured by the primary residence, used for remodeling a bathroom, we do not collect GMI under Reg B. If the borrower then refinances that same HELOC, which is still secured by the primary residence, do we collect GMI? We have conflicting opinions here on whether GMI is required since the HELOC is secured by the primary residence and is a "refinance". However, the HELOC is not to purchase the primary residence.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2231858 - 02/27/20 01:57 PM Re: Collecting GMI on a Refi of a HELOC M&M
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
From Reg B:

1002.13—Information for monitoring purposes.
(a) Information to be requested. (1) A creditor that receives an application for credit primarily for the purchase or refinancing of a dwelling occupied or to be occupied by the applicant as a principal residence, where the extension of credit will be secured by the dwelling, shall request as part of the application the following information regarding the applicant(s):

Collection is also required for refinancing of the primary residence of the applicant. In my opinion - refinancing a HELOC secured by the applicant's primary residence requires collection for Reg B purposes.

Return to Top
#2231894 - 02/27/20 04:04 PM Re: Collecting GMI on a Refi of a HELOC M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks. The argument I’m having difficulty with is the fact that we don’t collect GMI for the initial HELOC application, which is secured by the primary residence, but we would be required to collect GMI on a refi of that same HELOC 5 years later.

Return to Top
#2231908 - 02/27/20 04:35 PM Re: Collecting GMI on a Refi of a HELOC M&M
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
I would agree with Skittles based on a strict reading of the regulation but there are multiple opinions on this topic. Check out this thread:

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum...g-b-government-monitoring-info-and-refis

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z