Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2232356 - 03/04/20 09:38 PM Compliance Officer Training
WABComply Offline
100 Club
I do not know if this post should be in the water cooler section or not but it's not really a fun topic so i am putting it here.

My compliance team is very green. I am searching and searching for seminars in mainly in New York (City) area even NJ and maybe even CT area that they can go to or even really good webinars that they can partake in. ProBank, who is my go to normally, really doesn't have anything scheduled, at least not in this area at this time. I would really like for them to do live training. I looked at ABA and nothing doing either.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can look?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2232371 - 03/04/20 10:24 PM Re: Compliance Officer Training WABComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What is wrong with the BOL webinars?

Return to Top
#2232469 - 03/05/20 07:40 PM Re: Compliance Officer Training WABComply
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Try your state bankers' associations, they usually offer conferences that are usually more reasonable with costs rather, than say, the ABA or ICBA....

Return to Top
#2232475 - 03/05/20 08:28 PM Re: Compliance Officer Training WABComply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Depending on the number of employees to be trained and the range of topics, you might want to consider bringing someone to you. Many private consultants (including a number who post here on BOL) teach at all kinds of schools, seminars, and conferences...and could cover a wide range of topics in-house. Take a sharp pencil to the cost/benefit evaluation. Sending staff out for training means lost time in addition to school/seminar registration and travel costs.

Return to Top
#2232506 - 03/06/20 01:14 PM Re: Compliance Officer Training WABComply
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Richard brings up a good point. With a slight bet pf preparation, the instructor can tailor the program to the bank's specific needs.

While at a $43B Florida bank many years ago, we held a 3 day internal compliance conference - including assignments, catered lunches, etc. In addition to compliance (mandatory attendance), as the instructor touched on the various topics (sessions were usually 1-2 hours), representatives from the various business lines and their managers were invited so they could obtain additional knowledge and nuances from the compliance regs. and ask questions from the presenters.

Although we were specialized to different areas (deposits, loans, etc.) we were also backup for each other. The 3 days were intense, but compliance and the lines of business rated the experience as well worth the time.

Return to Top
#2232609 - 03/07/20 01:21 AM Re: Compliance Officer Training WABComply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Good points, Rocky. I'll underscore the value of opening up in-house training sessions to managers, servicing staff, and even executives and directors. Nothing stimulates attendance like knowing your boss will be there too. Another advantage to in-house closed-door training is confidentiality. At association-sponsored events, trainees can't "air the bank's dirty laundry." Closed-door events can become a problem-solving consultation in addition to simple training. If something ugly needs to be discussed, no outsiders will be there to hear it.

Return to Top
#2232645 - 03/09/20 03:44 PM Re: Compliance Officer Training rlcarey
WABComply Offline
100 Club
Randy,

There is nothing wrong with BOL webinars. I am just trying to locate something that is less specific for general overview such as the bootcamp. We have purchased many BOL webinars and will continue to do so.

Rishard/Rocky: Points have been noted. We did complete one of those last year but I know management is not looking to do that at this time.
Last edited by WABComply; 03/09/20 03:47 PM.
Return to Top