Thread Options
#2233509 - 03/23/20 05:47 PM unchartered PTO policy
JennKK2 Offline
Gold Star
-
given the state of the world, every company is trying to address employee time off - sick time, personal time, and now COVID-19 time etc.
we have an employee who is to be married in july. next week is using time off to go into a neighboring state to do wedding planning. the original time off reason was cancelled but is still taking the time off anyway. can we ask they not travel outside the state, that if they do they now are required to stay home for 14 days, regardless of not experiencing any symptoms,....and do we give them pay or not? just looking for feedback

thanks

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2233512 - 03/23/20 06:14 PM Re: unchartered PTO policy JennKK2
Inherent_Risk Offline
Gold Star
I have no advice, but I would look at the recent sick leave bill that was signed in response to the pandemic. You may have to pay them (or at least at 2/3) depending on circumstances.

Return to Top
#2233513 - 03/23/20 06:16 PM Re: unchartered PTO policy JennKK2
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
My personal opinion, I would contact your legal counsel. During this time, some states are saying if you travel outside of "said" state you might isolate for 14 days. These one off situations are going to become more common. As a fellow employee, I would want them to isolate.

Return to Top
#2233875 - 03/30/20 02:45 PM Re: unchartered PTO policy JennKK2
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This is in our Manager's FAQ:

Can managers restrict travel? Employers can impose travel restrictions on business travel. Employers cannot impose restrictions on personal travel. Managers can notify employees they will not be permitted to return to work for a 14 day self-quarantine period following travel to an area covered by a CDC or other official government imposed travel advisory.

Return to Top
#2235871 - 04/29/20 11:39 AM Re: unchartered PTO policy JennKK2
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
You can walk across the street and get the virus.

Agree with this: Managers can notify employees they will not be permitted to return to work for a 14 day self-quarantine period following travel to an area covered by a CDC or other official government imposed travel advisory.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry