Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2233516 - 03/23/20 06:24 PM Verification of Census Tract
Lizard60 Offline
New Poster
Ky
Hi everyone!
Hope that all are doing OK with this craziness going on.

I have a question: How do you verify that the Census Tract is correct? Usually we just go with what the FFIEC geocoder system states.
I have heard that some people validate that with what the Flood Cert states or what the appraisal states.

Does anybody else do that? Does anybody know how the examiners validate this field?

Also we use Questsoft, and usually that matches up with the FFIEC results but on occasion they do not match.

If we have differences, we will use Google Map to help locate the property and then use that to try to line up with FFIEC.

I would like to know what you all think.

Thanks for all your help!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2233517 - 03/23/20 06:39 PM Re: Verification of Census Tract Lizard60
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
We also use Questsoft. If we have a weird one (like a construction-perm without an address) we use a combination of the appraisal, assessment, Google maps to locate the property then use the FFIEC website to geocode. We then save the documentation so that we have proof of what we reported.

Return to Top
#2233518 - 03/23/20 06:45 PM Re: Verification of Census Tract Lizard60
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I would advise not using the flood determination. This is not guaranteed and many times it is incorrect.

Return to Top
#2233519 - 03/23/20 06:50 PM Re: Verification of Census Tract Lizard60
Lizard60 Offline
New Poster
Ky
I do agree with you Skittles on the flood cert not being accurate. I have heard that many times.

Return to Top
#2233688 - 03/25/20 11:06 PM Re: Verification of Census Tract Lizard60
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
I once had an FDIC examiner ask if we used the census data on the flood cert. I answered no, he then went on to say for RESPA-covered loans it was a possible something-for-nothing violation. I have been very careful to never use that information, We print FFIEC for each file. If no hit there, as someone previously indicated - overlaying google maps with FFIEC, and keeping the proof works. We have QuestSoft, but I always defer to FFIEC, since it's government-published, and examiners would have a more difficult time criticizing that data.

Return to Top