Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2234660 - 04/13/20 03:44 PM Suspicious Activity Information meanings
GrannieTwo Offline
100 Club
Central IL
We have just completed a BSA audit with a SAR finding. What I don't understand is the auditor's comment was on misuse of position or self dealing. An example - Widow mother and son. The widow mother makes her son joint on checking and savings after her husband/father of son passes away. The deceased husband took care of all the bills, checkbook, online banking. She knows nothing about this and has asked the son to pay her bills as dad did which was online. Son says sure but besides paying bills begins to send money through VenMo to his account. Mother shows up on a BSA report we have and we ask to talk to her. She comes in and can't believe her son is doing this. I'll stop there. My thought was he misused his position that his mother entrusted him to have and self dealt to himself. The auditor says I misunderstand the meaning.
My question is this - is there a website that explains suspicious activity information meanings. The FFIEC manual page 68 states that the focus should be on whether the bank has an effective SAR decision making process, not individual SAR decisions.
Am I totally wrong on misuse of position or self dealing?
For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2Cor 12:10

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2234661 - 04/13/20 03:52 PM Re: Suspicious Activity Information meanings GrannieTwo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Son was placed on the account. It is now the son's money as much as his mom's to do with what he pleases, unless he was placed on the account in a fiduciary capacity. There is no SAR here. The son, while he has some real morality issues, did nothing illegal.

Return to Top
#2234662 - 04/13/20 03:57 PM Re: Suspicious Activity Information meanings GrannieTwo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is a really old chart in Issue 12 - go here. https://www.fincen.gov/sar-activity-review-trends-tips-issues

I have not seen anything more recently.

Return to Top
#2234666 - 04/13/20 04:18 PM Re: Suspicious Activity Information meanings GrannieTwo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#2234700 - 04/13/20 06:50 PM Re: Suspicious Activity Information meanings rlcarey
GrannieTwo Offline
100 Club
Central IL
Thank you for your input, I do realize that the account was joint, but the son was to only help his mother not steal from her. It was a shame because the deceased parent worked with us and had passed away due to cancer. I know, I know, I can hear you saying that doesn't matter and I get it, but sometimes, my heart moves me instead of my head. Thanks for the attachment too, old is better than none. Stay healthy.
For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2Cor 12:10

Return to Top
#2234717 - 04/13/20 08:29 PM Re: Suspicious Activity Information meanings GrannieTwo
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
We'd investigate this for Elder Financial Exploitation and potentially file a SAR on that, especially given the mother didn't know anything about it. But I agree it wouldn't fall under the misuse of position/self-dealing category.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z