Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2236002 - 04/30/20 08:13 PM Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing
Annie Offline
If a borrower waives the rescission period on a refinance due to a bona fide personal emergency and provides an appropriate signed request/notice that is approved by the lender, must the lender provide the copies of the Notice of Right to Cancel to the borrower at the closing?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2236004 - 04/30/20 08:17 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I see nothing in 23(e) that would negate the requirements in 23(b). IOW, i believe the rescission notices are still required.

Return to Top
#2236005 - 04/30/20 08:17 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sort of would be counterproductive, I would think?

Return to Top
#2236007 - 04/30/20 08:22 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I guess i just see the rescission notices in this scenario as a sort of marker.......'you have the right to rescind this loan', (which is true), but elsewhere in the file, you will have documentation that they are waiving that right. But i get your point too Randy.

Honestly, in my 13 years, we've yet to have used a rescission waiver--that might change soon with Covid-19, we'll see.

Return to Top
#2236010 - 04/30/20 08:26 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
Annie Offline
What would happen if the borrower tried to rescind the transaction within the 3 days, but after the loan funded? I'm assuming the lender would say, sorry too late or something to that effect. In other words, your waiver trumps the rescission.

Return to Top
#2236011 - 04/30/20 08:27 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
From the 4/28/20 final rule:

"Under the TRID Rule and the Regulation Z Rescission Rules, however, after receiving the required disclosure(s), a consumer may modify or waive these waiting periods if the consumer determines that he or she needs credit extended to meet a bona fide personal financial emergency."

It seems to me the rescission waiver should technically happen at closing, right after they sign the original rescission notice.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2236012 - 04/30/20 08:28 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted by KAJ8484
What would happen if the borrower tried to rescind the transaction within the 3 days, but after the loan funded? I'm assuming the lender would say, sorry too late or something to that effect. In other words, your waiver trumps the rescission.

If the waiver complies, yes.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2236018 - 04/30/20 08:57 PM Re: Waving Rescission - NORTC Required at Closing Annie
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, it does appear to be an interesting question. While to waive the seven and three business day prior to closing,
19(e) & (f) specifically require the waiver after the delivery of the LE and CD disclosures. But .23 does not specifically address it regarding the RofR disclosure.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z