Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#223639 - 08/04/04 07:18 PM Negative earnings
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a bank has negative earnings for 2 quarters, is there mandatory supervisory action required? Where can I find info on this?

Return to Top
Audit
#223640 - 08/04/04 07:54 PM Re: Negative earnings
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Look to your regulator's capital rules, that is where the mandatory supervisory intervention rules are found. I do not believe earnings, or the lack thereof, result in automatic action by the regulators, unless you are a state chartered shop and you find them there.

Return to Top
#223641 - 08/04/04 08:40 PM Re: Negative earnings
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
I don't know of any action for negative earnings (de novo banks have many quarters of losses), but Don is right about the capital levels.

Your regulator monitors your bank quarterly. I would be expecting a call from them soon. However, you could be proactive and call or write them to explain.

Return to Top
#223642 - 08/06/04 10:45 PM Re: Negative earnings
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Two quarters of negative earnings don't mean much, normally. It's all about the level of capital retained - not negative earnings. Of course, continuing negative trends will get regulatory attention as Call Reports are filled or regular visits come about.

Return to Top
#223643 - 12/28/04 03:12 PM Re: Negative earnings
Anonymous
Unregistered

what is the implication of a negative earning for a start up project that extends from year 0 to 4? Can such a company still set aside funds for investment during this priod?

What are the factors that would account for such high level of negative earnings?

Return to Top
#223644 - 12/28/04 03:17 PM Re: Negative earnings
Anonymous
Unregistered

what is the implication of a negative earning for a start up project that extends from year 0 to 4? Can such a company still set aside funds for investment during this priod?

What are the factors that would account for such high level of negative earnings?

Return to Top
#223645 - 12/28/04 04:30 PM Re: Negative earnings
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
It depends on the cause of the negative earnings. It is short term events or is it a preview of a long term issue.

I am sure that the examiners have or will be having that conversation with management and it could lead to an exam and then action. Usually, any action is the result of an exam and not just negative earnings.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z