Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2236694 - 05/14/20 05:34 PM Decline Message for Online Account Opening
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
We are in the process of rolling out online account opening. An applicant can pass ChexSystems/OFAC, but "fail" the account opening process for answering questions derived from public sources incorrectly. I'm looking for sample language for the "denial" email for this circumstance.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2236695 - 05/14/20 05:38 PM Re: Decline Message for Online Account Opening TryingtoComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why would you have to say anymore than "Your attempt to open an online account has been denied. Please visit our nearest branch location for assistance"?

Return to Top
#2236698 - 05/14/20 05:53 PM Re: Decline Message for Online Account Opening TryingtoComply
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Right. FCRA doesn't apply to identification questions and we're not denying an extension of credit when denying a deposit account so there's no Reg B adverse action, either.

We could also say, "Thank you for playing our game. We have some lovely parting gifts for you!" Ok, Randy's option is more professional.

Return to Top
#2236699 - 05/14/20 05:58 PM Re: Decline Message for Online Account Opening TryingtoComply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
...so the declined applicant parks in front of the locked front door of the nearest branch and reads your COVID-19 notice...still no closer to opening the account.

Return to Top
#2236706 - 05/14/20 06:34 PM Re: Decline Message for Online Account Opening TryingtoComply
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Randy/Brian - I agree that there is no need to go into any detail and that the response should be general with a number to call or invitation to visit a branch. I offered to explore this as part of my role on the committee working on this project.

Richard - Too funny - totally agree. Our modified lobby hours are only four hours per day right now. Good luck! LOL!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z