Thread Options
#2237596 - 06/04/20 08:42 PM Post charge-off payment attempts
AndyCompliance Offline
New Poster
The majority of our loans are setup on recurring ACH debits. Management wants to extend the time we attempt to debit a borrower's account beyond our normal charge-off time (i.e. we CO loans at 90 days past due, and management wants to keep attempting scheduled payment debits until 120 days).

I don't see anything that prohibits this within Reg. E or NACHA, but we are concerned about contract implications.

Does anyone have experience with anything similar?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2237602 - 06/04/20 09:04 PM Re: Post charge-off payment attempts AndyCompliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are they assessed any additional fees when there is no money in the asset account?

Return to Top
#2237603 - 06/04/20 09:05 PM Re: Post charge-off payment attempts rlcarey
AndyCompliance Offline
New Poster
No. There are no fees assessed, and the payment attempts are for the agreed upon amounts per the original authorization.

Return to Top
#2237607 - 06/04/20 10:51 PM Re: Post charge-off payment attempts AndyCompliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Then I see no harm if there no NSF fee on the consumer's checking/asset account or return check fees on the loan . You charging off the loan is just an accounting function on your end. It does not impact the consumer's legal obligation tp you to pay the loan. They of course can always cancel their authorization..

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z