Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#223766 - 08/05/04 02:33 AM Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
No, this is not a joke - that's why I didn't post it in the watercooler. . . not "open mouth insert foot disease"!

My 6 month old was just diagnosed with this. She started running a fever last night. Anyone else experience this with their kids? Is there anything that you did that seemed to help?

Signed, a very tired Princess

Return to Top
#223767 - 08/05/04 02:02 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://edcp.org/factsheets/handfoot.html SEE if anything on this site will help

Return to Top
#223768 - 08/05/04 02:33 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
This seems to get passed around at least once each year at my son's school or day care center. Thankfully, he's never contracted the disease. I hear it can be very uncomfortable. I hope your child feels better soon!

Return to Top
#223769 - 08/05/04 05:09 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

My two year just got over this last week. I feel for you. She started with a temp that lasted only a day or two & then started complaining her feet hurt. I had heard of this before so when I looked at her feet I immediately knew what it was. She had three or four small blisters on each of her feet & a few rash-like dots on her hands. She only had one sore in her mouth, which is good because some kids get it there so bad they cannot swallow. She was only down & out for a couple of days but then felt fine. Bad news is they are contagious to other young kids for 7-10 days so I couldn't take her to the sitter (or anywhere else for that matter!). I hear it is like chicken pox for the most part & that if a child has had it, they should not get it again. I sure hope not. I had to miss a lot of work!

Return to Top
#223770 - 08/05/04 05:27 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Thanks for the info! Her fever broke this morning - just waiting for the sores. I was up with her last night for about 3 hours on and off. She wouldn't nurse last night but took 5 oz. from a bottle this morning. My husband is a "stay at home dad" until October so I feel for him. Hopefully it will run its course quickly!

Return to Top
#223771 - 08/05/04 06:02 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 20 month old daughter had it when you was 17 mos. I must of got lucky because the doctor said her temp was not as high as most kids who get it. Her was like 101 to 102. He said most are 104. She was just cranky but she sleep fine and she didn't eat much. She only had spots on her feet and hands. She didn't have sores. They said there wasn't much I could do but wait it out and give her Tyneol or Mortin for the pain. As long as I did that every 4 to 6 hours she was doing pretty well. It is very contagious. I had drop over at my sister house for like less then five minutes (just to pick something up) and the next day her son had it. But all in all she was only down for like 2 days. The doctor said it is normally 5- 7 days. Lucky, hers hit on the weekend.

Return to Top
#223772 - 08/05/04 06:20 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Hopefully she won't be too sick - her temp was never over 102.3 and it was gone this morning. She's pretty crabby but did drink some this morning. I'll pray we're at the peak. . .

Return to Top
#223773 - 08/05/04 06:39 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Aren't all children that age cranky? What's the difference?

Return to Top
#223774 - 08/05/04 07:12 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Difference with our daughter is that we can easily distract her and she'll laugh, want to bounce, eats well, etc. Plus she generally sleeps through the night. Right now, she's borderline inconsolable during the day and is up crying about 1/2 the night

Return to Top
#223775 - 08/06/04 08:30 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 daughters - the first two had this stuff and gave it to my wife and I. It is very unpleasant. The dificuly swallowing is about like strep throat, but the mouth sores is just a nuisance that won't go away soon enough. I know my sister in law & family as well as my brother in law and family have had it and passed it around in the past few years also.

Unfortunately I bet my family gets it again. My third daughter is only a month old. Just remember it does go away and if you and your spouse don't get it count your blessings.

Return to Top
#223776 - 08/09/04 08:27 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
How is your daughter doing? I hope you were able to rest up over the weekend.

Return to Top
#223777 - 08/09/04 09:23 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Thank you for asking!

She's doing better - her temp is down to the mid 99's, but she's on a no-sleep kick (both day and night) so we're running on fumes. My husband is home with her full time and he's pretty much a wreck but is so good with her

As of last night she didn't have any blisters in her mouth and he hasn't called me to say he found any.

I'm hoping for a good night's sleep

Maybe she's afraid of the clowns . . .

Return to Top
#223778 - 08/10/04 01:37 PM Re: Hand Foot & Mouth Disease
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
I'm glad her fever is down. Hopefully, she will have a mild case and will be sleeping better soon. As for the clowns, you will have to ask Dawnie how to get her over that.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett