Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2237990 - 06/12/20 01:43 PM IATs through PayPal
Loynograd Offline
100 Club
For purposes of OFAC List Compliance...

If we receive an international IAT through PayPal (or a similar company) are they considered domestic ACHs? According to the exam manual, there are different expectations for screening depending on whether a transaction is a domestic ACH or an IAT.

I believe that the transaction hitting us is a domestic ACH (between our credit union and paypal) even though the description says IAT PayPal John Smith.

I am curious as to what others think.

Last edited by Loynograd; 06/12/20 01:44 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2237991 - 06/12/20 02:04 PM Re: IATs through PayPal Loynograd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
You are most likely seeing the last (or first) leg of the transaction between PayPal and credit union (at least two are PayPals customer). The ultimate beneficiary or sender could be in a foreign country making it an IAT. Your institution (along with PayPal) could be held responsible for OFAC compliance legs that you do not see (yes it is unfair). Usually the CMP's follow Wires but it could follow ACH.

IAT or domestic should be viewed as risk levels in addition to procedural policy.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2237992 - 06/12/20 02:06 PM Re: IATs through PayPal Loynograd
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
It sounds like an IAT to me.

Return to Top
#2238043 - 06/12/20 08:38 PM Re: IATs through PayPal Loynograd
Loynograd Offline
100 Club
thank you edAudit, that is what the BSA Officer and myself fear. We may have to tweak our procedures for those transactions.

Jake

Return to Top
#2238053 - 06/14/20 09:59 PM Re: IATs through PayPal Loynograd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
The weird ones are the ones that code as IATs but are clearly government benefits. (Not the Canadian pensions, but actual US government benefits.) I always look at those twice, just to make sure!

Return to Top
#2238617 - 06/24/20 07:47 PM Re: IATs through PayPal Loynograd
chuckchuck Offline
FYI- I get a dozen of these each day at my institution and our core kicks several of them out as OFAC possible exceptions. They are all false positives, but we still have to review them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z