Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2236847 - 05/18/20 07:03 PM Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I just found out that our operations department is rejecting deposited checks due to "irregular endorsement."

Customer's signatures change over time or when they endorse their check in a hurry. Is anyone else doing this for a check that is made payable to the customer and it's being deposited into the customer's account?

Not sure what the risk is here? Am I missing something?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2236852 - 05/18/20 07:18 PM Re: Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement TryingtoComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is basically purely a waste of everyone's time and as a customer - I would just leave the bank.

Return to Top
#2236857 - 05/18/20 07:29 PM Re: Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement TryingtoComply
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
For mobile deposits, this is a worthwhile endeavor on certain items.

Scammers who hijack customers' credentials and deposit counterfeit checks in the victims' accounts either print an endorsement using some kind of script font, or simply scribble an illegible endorsement.

Your risk is that once the deposit posts, the scammer either forwards the funds onward (using the victim's credentials), or entices the victim to do so.

Return to Top
#2236861 - 05/18/20 07:36 PM Re: Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement TryingtoComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
JacPCB - good point.

Return to Top
#2236863 - 05/18/20 07:45 PM Re: Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement TryingtoComply
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Randy - still laughing regarding your comment.......BUT from a risk perspective maybe set a threshold. JacPCB thanks for your insight!

Return to Top
#2238376 - 06/19/20 04:57 PM Re: Mobile Deposit Rejected for Irregular Endorsement TryingtoComply
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
We review our mobile deposits and reject them if the endorsement does not contact "mobile" and our bank name because of the liability issues if the item is presented twice.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett