Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2238780 - 06/29/20 05:26 PM FinCEN Guidance - Hemp Related Business Customers
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
See: https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/2020-06/FinCEN_Hemp_Guidance_508_FINAL.pdf

FinCEN just released updated hemp-related banking guidance. For the most part, it echoes what the NCUA has said in the past year, and thus, is more detailed in terms of what EDD is expected, than the previous guidance released by the FFIEC (minus NCUA plus CSBS). However, in classic FinCEN style, they threw a "bombshell" in a footnote:

6. Section 10113 of the 2018 Farm Bill defines “hemp” more broadly than the 2014 Farm Bill defined “industrial hemp,” thus eliminating any question that both the plants and products derived from the plants are legal, so long as the THC concentration does not exceed 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis. 2018 Farm Bill § 10113, codified at 7 U.S.C. § 1639o(1). Included within the definition of hemp in the 2018 Farm Bill is cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabinoid that is a compound extracted from the cannabis plant with a delta-9-THC concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.

This appears to suggest that FinCEN does not view CBD as a SAR-reportable product. I've reached out to FinCEN to see if they will confirm my read of it.
Last edited by Pat Patriot Act; 06/29/20 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2238790 - 06/29/20 06:56 PM Re: FinCEN Guidance - Hemp Related Business Customers Pat Patriot Act
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Let's hope they answer something more than "refer to guidance"! laugh

Return to Top
#2239112 - 07/06/20 05:45 PM Re: FinCEN Guidance - Hemp Related Business Customers P*Q
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
Originally Posted by P*Q
Let's hope they answer something more than "refer to guidance"! laugh

Unfortunately, the answer I received back was basically "refer to the guidance." I tried politely informing them that I read the guidance, and had a question about it, to which they responded a second time with actual quoted guidance. I gave it a third try, and got the same type of response.

They flat out won't answer a direct question about CBD/ the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act, which is pretty strange to me. If I were to ask whether deposits which I suspect were from the sales of drugs prohibited by the CSA, they'd essentially say that such activity would warrant reporting. Conversely, if I were to ask if the proceeds of a bake sale were subject to SAR filing, I'd imagine they'd tell me no, unless I had any concerns about the baked goods.

Return to Top
#2239115 - 07/06/20 05:56 PM Re: FinCEN Guidance - Hemp Related Business Customers Pat Patriot Act
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
CBD isn't on the CSA unless it meets the definition of marijuana which it almost never does from my understanding. (Hemp = high CBD, low THC; marijuana = High THC, low CBD).

The FDA has indicated that it regulates CBD the same way it regulates anything else - if you put it in food or if you claim it has a health benefit, you're subject to the FDA regs. How do you handle other depositors that might be subject to FDA regs (health food store, sports store that sells dietary supplements, pharmacy/drug store, grocery store etc.)?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z