Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2239146 - 07/06/20 09:45 PM CTR or NO CTR?
GOWITHYOURGUT Offline
I may be overthinking this but here is the situation that has me second-guessing myself despite my forum profile name smile :

Note: Husband and Wife come in together during all transactions although not done all at once.

1) Currency Exchange - Indications are they will both benefit
2) Transit Checks Cashed by and payable to husband
3) Account Withdrawal by wife

Husband Total including C/E = $8900
Wife Total including C/E = $3400
Total: $12,300.00 - CTR form generates due to Account/SS#'s being referenced by tellers

I lean toward no CTR because although they were together - we do NOT have knowledge that either of them benefitted from all transactions conducted with the exception of the currency exchange that was just over $2,000.00.

Them both being present is the monkey wrench here. Had they come separately, this would be a non-issue.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Appreciate the feedback!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2239158 - 07/07/20 12:51 PM Re: CTR or NO CTR? GOWITHYOURGUT
Jennifer Offline
100 Club
Jennifer
I agree with the way you are leaning - the bank does not have knowledge that they both benefited from all transactions. They acted separately. No CTR

Return to Top
#2239186 - 07/07/20 05:45 PM Re: CTR or NO CTR? GOWITHYOURGUT
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
I'd probably just file rather than trying to document all of this and potentially having to argue it with an auditor/examiner.

"They came in and did the transactions together" sounds like a very simple justification for why you filed, if you were asked.
Last edited by ColoradoAML; 07/07/20 05:47 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z