Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2239580 - 07/14/20 06:56 PM Cash App Scam??
Jenny Roberts Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
We just had a customer get a point of sale credit of over $9,000 from a Cash App and now he has several POS debits trying to come out for large amounts on a customer that just opened an account and doesn't have any money. He won't tell us the details but we feel his is being scammed. He said he knows about the deposit but the withdrawals are fraudulent. We have not let him had access to the money just yet and trying to stall to find out if we will get hit with a credit reversal.....any help on what the bank can do as far as keeping him from being a victim and the bank taking a loss if we let him have the money?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2239584 - 07/14/20 08:11 PM Re: Cash App Scam?? Jenny Roberts
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
I am working on a fraudulent State of Arizona ACH deposit where our member was attempting to send the proceeds out in Cash App transactions. Our saving grace was she is not very good at knowing limits, so she tried to send more than we allow, which ended up freezing the card although she did get $300 out. The $300 did not go out as A2A or P2P. It probably went to a reloadable card.

Return to Top
#2239585 - 07/14/20 08:20 PM Re: Cash App Scam?? Jenny Roberts
Jenny Roberts Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
This is a deposit that came thru his point of sale debit card. I am not having any luck as to what to do if we do not received a reversal on the credit. Everything I see is just about point of sale withdrawals.... He won't tell us anything so I feel he has been groomed on what to say. He wants the money but if we give it to him, we risk taking a loss if we get the reversal of over $9,0000....

Return to Top
#2239598 - 07/14/20 10:08 PM Re: Cash App Scam?? Jenny Roberts
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The sending merchant cannot just shove through a $9,000 reversal under VISA/MC rules. They would have to obtain a valid authorization for $9,000 against the card that received the transfer. If the merchant forces through a debit transaction without obtaining a valid authorization, your institution will have chargeback rights.

Brian

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett